Re: Fontlab

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2001
      Harold

      Can't with any authority answer the question but I have put the links
      to the various font-editing programs (Ikurus, Fontographer, FontLab,
      RoboFog) in Bookmarks.

      Ger

      --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Harold Kyle <harold@b...> wrote:
      > Group:
      >
      > Fontlab was mentioned on this list a week or so ago, and I wondered
      > how many people on the list were using it instead of Fontographer
      > (which I use). Is anyone here familiar with both programs enough to
      > compare their ability to letterpress-optimize digital type? We can
      > expect an upgrade with Fontlab, whereas we can't with Fontographe
      > (...right?). Are there other advantages? Do any font programs plan to
      > offer OpenType support?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Harold Kyle
      >
      > ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      > Boxcar Press
      > Fine Printing and Binding ~ Digital Letterpress Supplies
      > 640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
      > www.boxcarpress.com
      > ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    • Justin Howes
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2001
        Fontlab is a wonderful program, and will be even more wonderful when
        upgraded to version 4 (which will indeed support OpenType). I used it for
        the Founder's Caslon fonts, mentioned recently by Gerald Lange. In terms of
        how it compares with Fontographer, specifically for PP-optimising fonts, its
        biggest advantage may be that the 'bold' option allows you to alter
        horizontal and vertical weight independently.

        Justin Howes

        website: http://www.hwcaslon.com Home of Caslon Old Face, the world's oldest
        living typeface.
        email: jhowes@...

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2001
          Dear PPL members

          For those of you who do have Fontographer I have put a simple font
          modification sequence in Files. I'd also refer you to Stephen Moye's
          book Fontographer: Type by Design for more sophisticated approaches to
          modifying fonts. This is now out-of-print but occasionally a copy
          shows up on the various book dealer lists. I have also put a link to
          Fontographer in Bookmarks. If you follow this you will also find a
          number of tech tips for using Fontographer.

          Having said all this, I too eagerly await the new version of FontLab.
          I have the first version for the Mac and it won't run on my computer.
          But I have heard great things about it from Justin and others. In that
          regard I have also put a link in Bookmarks to the TYPO-L archives
          where there was a lengthy discussion regarding the pros and cons of FL
          and FOG.

          All best

          Ger