Corrosion inhibitor for magnesium cuts

  • Julie Larson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2007
      Does anyone know what the blue stuff is that is used to coat magnesium
      and probably zinc cuts to prevent corrosion?

      For those of you that use oil or WD-40, do you have any issues with it
      affecting the mounting wood?
    • alex brooks
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2007
        I'm in need of an answer for this as well. I've been told to use
        petroleum jelly, but my cuts seem to be oxidizing despite a thick
        layer of it.

        help!

        -alex

        On Jan 10, 2007, at 6:57 PM, Julie Larson wrote:

        > Does anyone know what the blue stuff is that is used to coat magnesium
        > and probably zinc cuts to prevent corrosion?
        >
        > For those of you that use oil or WD-40, do you have any issues with it
        > affecting the mounting wood?

      • Crispin Elsted
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 10, 2007
          Hi Julie and Alex,

          I'm surprised by your problems with petroleum jelly, Alex. That's what we've always used, and we've never had a problem. I do wrap the blocks in plastic kitchen wrap after applying the Vaseline (or whatever other brand you use), however, and that might make the difference. Some of these blocks we've kept uncorroded for thirty years. Nil desperandum!

          Cheers!
          Crispin Elsted
          Barbarian Press
          12375 Ainsworth Road, R.R.8
          Mission, British Columbia V4S 1L4
          Canada

          Tel: 604.826.8089 Fax: 604.826.8092
          Website: www.barbarianpress.com

          I'm in need of an answer for this as well. I've been told to use
          petroleum jelly, but my cuts seem to be oxidizing despite a thick
          layer of it.

          help!

          -alex

          On Jan 10, 2007, at 6:57 PM, Julie Larson wrote:

          > Does anyone know what the blue stuff is that is used to coat magnesium
          > and probably zinc cuts to prevent corrosion?
          >
          > For those of you that use oil or WD-40, do you have any issues with it
          > affecting the mounting wood?

        • Lance Williams
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 10, 2007
            Here's what I have done, and for the most part it has worked well:

            Spray the magnesium surface with WD-40. I have not for any problems with
            the wood mounting blocks. Then wrap the cut tightly in plastic wrap. Then
            put the wrapped cut into a zip-lock bag. This will keep the exposure to
            atmosphere to a minimum. (You are trying to keep the exposure to oxygen to
            the minimum, actually....)

            I have done this with magnesium photoengravings that I have wanted to keep,
            and it has worked quite well, and I live in a very humid part of central
            New York. Summer dew points in the 70's....

            Of course, these days, anything of at least 20 square inches, I order
            copper, as it is about the same price as magnesium, and doesn't corrode in
            the air like magnesium, at least not so quickly......

            - Lance Williams
            Williams Stationery Co.
            Camden, New York
            APA #785

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 10, 2007
              Axle grease, perhaps.
              Not blue, at least not the decades old canister I had around the ship for years!

              PF

              Galena, Illinois http://www.alphabets.com

              --
            • tricia treacy
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 10, 2007
                I haven't done this myself; but you should spray them with a cooking
                oil, like "pam" and store them in a sealed plastic bag. I do store
                mine in an air-tight sealed bag and haven't seen any problems, yet.
                Curious to hear what other people do. Recently, I have been thinking
                of trying the pam idea.

                -Tricia

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 10, 2007
                  Julie

                  By blue stuff do you mean the coloration of the surface area of the
                  plate? Magnesium plates also came in red and probably other color
                  coatings.

                  Main thing is protect them from oxygen. An antioxygent such as
                  armorall would work, as would petroleum jelly, and wrap them in
                  plastic or put in a plastic bag. Zinc or copper don't have this
                  problem but it is shared by photopolymer plates. If you put magnesium
                  or photopolymer plates in a plastic bag, breath into the bag before
                  sealing. Carbon dioxide is the best preservative. Oxygen is quite a
                  destructive little son-of-a-gun. I suspect that was the plan.

                  Gerald

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Larson" <entdesign@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Does anyone know what the blue stuff is that is used to coat magnesium
                  > and probably zinc cuts to prevent corrosion?
                  >
                  > For those of you that use oil or WD-40, do you have any issues with it
                  > affecting the mounting wood?

                • Arie Koelewyn
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 10, 2007
                    Don't know what the blues stuff might be. I've had fairly good luck
                    with smearing the ink all over the plate and not cleaning it up very
                    well. Then just before printing I use type wash to remove the dried up
                    ink on the printing surfaces...the non-printing portions I leave alone
                    after it has a layer of ink on it. Some of my Owosso magnesium cuts are
                    over 20 years old and still print well. But, like Lance, I now buy
                    copper every time.

                    One factor may be that my print shop is now in the basement where a
                    dehumidifier runs pretty constantly.

                    ---Arie Koelewyn
                    The Paper Airplane Press
                    East Lansing, MI
                    USA

                    Julie Larson wrote:
                    > Does anyone know what the blue stuff is that is used to coat magnesium
                    > and probably zinc cuts to prevent corrosion?
                    >
                    > For those of you that use oil or WD-40, do you have any issues with it
                    > affecting the mounting wood?

                  • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 11, 2007
                      I spray magnesium plates with the vegetable oil spray
                      for cooking. I then put them in shrink wrap material
                      but don't shrink them.

                      It's pretty easy to clean off. I have not stored
                      plates for a long length of time before having to use
                      it again so I cannot say what would happen if left for
                      several years. Maybe the vegetable oil will thicken,
                      maybe the shrink plastic might soften and stick to the
                      plate.

                      Sometimes simple and inexpensive is the best route.

                      Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
                      Southwest Finishing, Inc.
                      Ft.Worth, Texas