Re: [PPLetterpress] Too small type?

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
      Thanks to all for advice on the small type sizes. I was able to finally
      print successfully. What I did was raise up my rollers by putting tape on
      the tracks until the ink was TOO light, and then dropped them back down just
      about one thickness of masking tape and the printing looks fine now. My
      Craftsman press has adjustable tracks, but these are not easy to adjust and
      almost impossible to adjust minutely. I guess I would be, too, if I were
      over 80 years old...

      Not surprisingly, the printing is much better if I let the rollers go once
      over the form before impression. Since this greatly slows down the printing
      process, I decided to up the speed on the press to help accommodate for
      that. However, interestingly, once I was going at higher speed, the form was
      getting under-ink again on one side. All I can think of is that the higher
      speed somehow causes the rollers to not hit the form as solidly...??

      Anyway, I'm getting acceptable printing now, and that is what the client
      wants.

      Thanks again.

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
      513-233-9588

      > From: Silver MayKitten <maykitten1@...>
      > Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:42:02 -0700 (PDT)
      > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Too small type?
      >
      > 4 to 6 point depending on the roughness of the stock. I had some
      > stock with a blotter like surface that wouldn't stand for 8 point
      > FOUNDRY type.
      >
      > It depends more on the paper than the typr of image carier.
      >
      > MayKitten
      > --- Katie Harper <knharper@...> wrote:
      >> Is there a limit as to how small type can be when printed on
      >> uncoated rag
      >> stock, such as Somerset textured or velvet? I have some very
      >> small type on a
      >> business card that is giving me fits. Had to raise up my rollers
      >> (platen
      >> press) considerably to avoid ink spreading to shoulders. It looks
      >> fine on
      >> uncoated stock, so it occurred to me that there may be limits.
      >> This is about
      >> 4 point sans serif... never a dull moment in the continuing
      >> saga..
      >>

      >> Katie Harper
      >> Ars Brevis Press
      >> Cincinnati, OH
      >> 513-233-9588
      >>

      > =====
      > Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?
      > Yours is the road that winds lonely and far,
      > Strange are the shadows that round you come creeping,
      > Still through the clouds is the glint of a star!
      >
      > From the book, Charge of the Goddess
      > BY: Doreen Valiente

      > http://sbc.yahoo.com

      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > ? Encountering problems? contact:
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > ? To unsubscribe:

    • Michael Andrews
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
        Hello

        Trying to find a home for a Vandercook 232 proof
        press. It is a huge machine that requires space, 220
        volts and will be expensive to move.

        I would like to get $500 or best offer. Free to a good
        home in some non profit, specially if I can get
        visiting rights.

        Call me at 310 374-7672

        Thanks

        Michael Andrews

        Specs follow:

        VANDERCOOK 232 PROOF PRESS: $500
        Made for registering and proofing color plates
        Print Area: 30" x 32"
        1 long Ink roller