RE: [PPLetterpress] cleaning off pre-cut paper

  • Lance Williams
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
      This is true, especially a 100% cotton sheet... I have found that I get a
      certain amount of lint and roughness to the edge with sharpest of knife
      when cutting Crane's Lettra 110# cover.... And, I have no one to blame for
      the knife since I grind and sharpen myself <grin>.

      - Lance Williams
      Williams Stationery Co.
      Camden, New York
      APA #785

    • wa0dfw@copper.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
        Oh yes, some lint. The original post would have indicated more than a
        normal lint problem, at least as I interpreted it.

        Even when cutting the stocks more prone to roughness, it can be
        minimized by the judicial application of parafin to the blade prior
        to each cut. Of course, this would not be practical on a production
        basis, but for most of the listmembers it would not be overly
        burdensome for the quantities involved.

        Plus, methinks that the vendor should make some effort to remove or
        minimize the lint before shipping, but is that just my obsolete
        service oriented philosophy?

        Mo
        >This is true, especially a 100% cotton sheet... I have found that I
        >get a
        >certain amount of lint and roughness to the edge with sharpest of
        >knife
        >when cutting Crane's Lettra 110# cover.... And, I have no one to
        >blame for
        >the knife since I grind and sharpen myself <grin>.
        >
        >- Lance Williams
        >Williams Stationery Co.
        >Camden, New York
        >APA #785

      • richardtheroadie
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 8, 2007
          From an offset printing point of view Kelly sucks as well. You can tell them till your blue in
          the face but their cutting sucks. It varies on size and you get dust alot. The printer
          upstairs from us order a pallet at a time and always has problems. If you can make friends
          with a local printing shop order parents and get the shop to cut them. We do that for a few
          people that we know. Cost varies from a good story to 10 or 20 bucks. Beer works better.
          Good luck!!

          --- InLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Mortenson" <kcmortenson@...> wrote:

          > Hello All,
          >
          > Whenever I order pre-cut paper from Kelly paper, there are tons of tiny paper bits
          hanging along the sides. Does anyone have an easy way to remove them?

          > Many thanks!
          >
          > Karen Mortenson

        • Karen Mortenson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 11, 2007
            Many thanks for all of your suggestions regarding my pre-cut paper. I thought I was saving time having a "professional" do it for me.

            Karen