RE: [PPLetterpress] cleaning off pre-cut paper

  • Silver MayKitten
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
      In defense of the merchant, there are some paper stocks that
      make lint, no matter how well you have maintained a cutter.

      MaiKätzchen
      --- wa0dfw@... wrote:

      > I agree. Using a dull cutter knife is inexcusable -
      > especially when
      > done by a paper vendor. Possibly you need to change vendors!
      >
      > Mo
      >
      > >Yeah,
      > >
      > >tell them to get their cutter knife sharpened... Paper lint
      > on the
      > >edge of
      > >the cut sheet is the sure sign of an extremely dull
      > knife....
      > >
      > >- Lance Williams
      > >Williams Stationery Co.
      > >Camden, New York

      Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

      From the book, Charge of the Goddess
      BY: Doreen Valiente
    • Lance Williams
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
        This is true, especially a 100% cotton sheet... I have found that I get a
        certain amount of lint and roughness to the edge with sharpest of knife
        when cutting Crane's Lettra 110# cover.... And, I have no one to blame for
        the knife since I grind and sharpen myself <grin>.

        - Lance Williams
        Williams Stationery Co.
        Camden, New York
        APA #785

      • wa0dfw@copper.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
          Oh yes, some lint. The original post would have indicated more than a
          normal lint problem, at least as I interpreted it.

          Even when cutting the stocks more prone to roughness, it can be
          minimized by the judicial application of parafin to the blade prior
          to each cut. Of course, this would not be practical on a production
          basis, but for most of the listmembers it would not be overly
          burdensome for the quantities involved.

          Plus, methinks that the vendor should make some effort to remove or
          minimize the lint before shipping, but is that just my obsolete
          service oriented philosophy?

          Mo
          >This is true, especially a 100% cotton sheet... I have found that I
          >get a
          >certain amount of lint and roughness to the edge with sharpest of
          >knife
          >when cutting Crane's Lettra 110# cover.... And, I have no one to
          >blame for
          >the knife since I grind and sharpen myself <grin>.
          >
          >- Lance Williams
          >Williams Stationery Co.
          >Camden, New York
          >APA #785

        • richardtheroadie
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 8, 2007
            From an offset printing point of view Kelly sucks as well. You can tell them till your blue in
            the face but their cutting sucks. It varies on size and you get dust alot. The printer
            upstairs from us order a pallet at a time and always has problems. If you can make friends
            with a local printing shop order parents and get the shop to cut them. We do that for a few
            people that we know. Cost varies from a good story to 10 or 20 bucks. Beer works better.
            Good luck!!

            --- InLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Mortenson" <kcmortenson@...> wrote:

            > Hello All,
            >
            > Whenever I order pre-cut paper from Kelly paper, there are tons of tiny paper bits
            hanging along the sides. Does anyone have an easy way to remove them?

            > Many thanks!
            >
            > Karen Mortenson

          • Karen Mortenson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 11, 2007
              Many thanks for all of your suggestions regarding my pre-cut paper. I thought I was saving time having a "professional" do it for me.

              Karen