RE: [PPLetterpress] cleaning off pre-cut paper

  • wa0dfw@copper.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
      I agree. Using a dull cutter knife is inexcusable - especially when
      done by a paper vendor. Possibly you need to change vendors!

      Mo

      >Yeah,
      >
      >tell them to get their cutter knife sharpened... Paper lint on the
      >edge of
      >the cut sheet is the sure sign of an extremely dull knife....
      >
      >- Lance Williams
      >Williams Stationery Co.
      >Camden, New York

    • Silver MayKitten
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
        In defense of the merchant, there are some paper stocks that
        make lint, no matter how well you have maintained a cutter.

        MaiKätzchen
        --- wa0dfw@... wrote:

        > I agree. Using a dull cutter knife is inexcusable -
        > especially when
        > done by a paper vendor. Possibly you need to change vendors!
        >
        > Mo
        >
        > >Yeah,
        > >
        > >tell them to get their cutter knife sharpened... Paper lint
        > on the
        > >edge of
        > >the cut sheet is the sure sign of an extremely dull
        > knife....
        > >
        > >- Lance Williams
        > >Williams Stationery Co.
        > >Camden, New York

        Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

        From the book, Charge of the Goddess
        BY: Doreen Valiente
      • Lance Williams
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
          This is true, especially a 100% cotton sheet... I have found that I get a
          certain amount of lint and roughness to the edge with sharpest of knife
          when cutting Crane's Lettra 110# cover.... And, I have no one to blame for
          the knife since I grind and sharpen myself <grin>.

          - Lance Williams
          Williams Stationery Co.
          Camden, New York
          APA #785

        • wa0dfw@copper.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
            Oh yes, some lint. The original post would have indicated more than a
            normal lint problem, at least as I interpreted it.

            Even when cutting the stocks more prone to roughness, it can be
            minimized by the judicial application of parafin to the blade prior
            to each cut. Of course, this would not be practical on a production
            basis, but for most of the listmembers it would not be overly
            burdensome for the quantities involved.

            Plus, methinks that the vendor should make some effort to remove or
            minimize the lint before shipping, but is that just my obsolete
            service oriented philosophy?

            Mo
            >This is true, especially a 100% cotton sheet... I have found that I
            >get a
            >certain amount of lint and roughness to the edge with sharpest of
            >knife
            >when cutting Crane's Lettra 110# cover.... And, I have no one to
            >blame for
            >the knife since I grind and sharpen myself <grin>.
            >
            >- Lance Williams
            >Williams Stationery Co.
            >Camden, New York
            >APA #785

          • richardtheroadie
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 8, 2007
              From an offset printing point of view Kelly sucks as well. You can tell them till your blue in
              the face but their cutting sucks. It varies on size and you get dust alot. The printer
              upstairs from us order a pallet at a time and always has problems. If you can make friends
              with a local printing shop order parents and get the shop to cut them. We do that for a few
              people that we know. Cost varies from a good story to 10 or 20 bucks. Beer works better.
              Good luck!!

              --- InLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Mortenson" <kcmortenson@...> wrote:

              > Hello All,
              >
              > Whenever I order pre-cut paper from Kelly paper, there are tons of tiny paper bits
              hanging along the sides. Does anyone have an easy way to remove them?

              > Many thanks!
              >
              > Karen Mortenson

            • Karen Mortenson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 11, 2007
                Many thanks for all of your suggestions regarding my pre-cut paper. I thought I was saving time having a "professional" do it for me.

                Karen