Re: best-loved faces

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 4, 2007
      Hi Lisa

      Well, yes, and no. I process plates for a number of
      stationery/invitational card folks—some of them quite high end and
      prolific—and the latter will either direct their clients
      appropriately, as designers should (I'd think), or (in regard to favs)
      they may have a line of cards developed in which they are using their
      own preferred faces.

      So, I'd suggest it is not always just what the client demands but
      often how they are directed to what they need. And, I would think, if
      they are coming to you (generic you), they are coming for a specific
      reason, your taste, your expertise, skill, what uniquely you have to
      offer, etc. Yes? No?

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, lisa rappoport <cutvelvet@...>
      wrote:

      > >Actually, I was hoping some of the folks involved in the recent
      > >letterpress revival, the stationery/invitational card folks, would
      > >have responded to this. Truth be told though, I can't really find
      > >their representation on any of the letterpress lists. Not sure what
      > >that says. Insular? Competitive? Letterpress is a selling point, but
      > >no real further, deeper interest?
      >
      > Hi Gerald,
      > As someone who prints invitations, along with other commercial work
      and my own personal work, the answer seems clear: One's own favorite
      faces are generally irrelevant. The customer will select the face,
      esp. if you're going the polymer plate route, in which case they can
      choose from whatever digital font, suitable or not, they've ever seen.

    • juliemackenzie2003
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 5, 2007
        Hi Gerald and Lisa-

        I am a custom invitation designer and also print for designers as
        well.

        I agree with Gerald, I tend to steer my clients in the directions of
        my tried and true typefaces. I have in my early days, tried
        different faces because it was what they liked. Often to my dismay.
        They liked the end result, but I fussed through the entire print
        process.

        When time allows, I will print for an occasional designer. Not
        always liking the design and type faces. I did one time get quite a
        surprise on a typeface that I thought was horrible. Hard to read and
        letters were not what I thought (in digital format) Yet when I
        printed it. It looked quite lovely. That was Escrita Principal.

        anyways, long story short. What the client wants is often what you
        will recommend within their design style.

        Thanks,
        Julie MacKenzie
        www.mackenziepress.com