RE: [PPLetterpress] cleaning off pre-cut paper

  • Lance Williams
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
      Yeah,

      tell them to get their cutter knife sharpened... Paper lint on the edge of
      the cut sheet is the sure sign of an extremely dull knife....

      - Lance Williams
      Williams Stationery Co.
      Camden, New York

      paper bits hanging along the sides. Does anyone have an easy way to remove
      them?

      > Many thanks!
      >
      > Karen Mortenson

    • Silver MayKitten
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
        Dab the edges with plastic packing tape. The lint comes right
        off.

        MaiKätzchen
        --- Karen Mortenson <kcmortenson@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > Whenever I order pre-cut paper from Kelly paper, there are
        > tons of tiny paper bits hanging along the sides. Does anyone
        > have an easy way to remove them?
        >
        > Many thanks!
        >
        > Karen Mortenson

        Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

        From the book, Charge of the Goddess
        BY: Doreen Valiente
      • Lance Williams
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
          Sorry, meant to put a <grin> on that one, as it was my sarcastic humor
          coming out....

          To clean up the edges, the best thing is to wipe the edge with a clean rag
          or a good stiff brush....

          - Lance Williams
          Williams Stationery Co.
          Camden, New York
          APA #785

        • wa0dfw@copper.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
            I agree. Using a dull cutter knife is inexcusable - especially when
            done by a paper vendor. Possibly you need to change vendors!

            Mo

            >Yeah,
            >
            >tell them to get their cutter knife sharpened... Paper lint on the
            >edge of
            >the cut sheet is the sure sign of an extremely dull knife....
            >
            >- Lance Williams
            >Williams Stationery Co.
            >Camden, New York

          • Silver MayKitten
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
              In defense of the merchant, there are some paper stocks that
              make lint, no matter how well you have maintained a cutter.

              MaiKätzchen
              --- wa0dfw@... wrote:

              > I agree. Using a dull cutter knife is inexcusable -
              > especially when
              > done by a paper vendor. Possibly you need to change vendors!
              >
              > Mo
              >
              > >Yeah,
              > >
              > >tell them to get their cutter knife sharpened... Paper lint
              > on the
              > >edge of
              > >the cut sheet is the sure sign of an extremely dull
              > knife....
              > >
              > >- Lance Williams
              > >Williams Stationery Co.
              > >Camden, New York

              From the book, Charge of the Goddess
              BY: Doreen Valiente
            • Lance Williams
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
                This is true, especially a 100% cotton sheet... I have found that I get a
                certain amount of lint and roughness to the edge with sharpest of knife
                when cutting Crane's Lettra 110# cover.... And, I have no one to blame for
                the knife since I grind and sharpen myself <grin>.

                - Lance Williams
                Williams Stationery Co.
                Camden, New York
                APA #785

              • wa0dfw@copper.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
                  Oh yes, some lint. The original post would have indicated more than a
                  normal lint problem, at least as I interpreted it.

                  Even when cutting the stocks more prone to roughness, it can be
                  minimized by the judicial application of parafin to the blade prior
                  to each cut. Of course, this would not be practical on a production
                  basis, but for most of the listmembers it would not be overly
                  burdensome for the quantities involved.

                  Plus, methinks that the vendor should make some effort to remove or
                  minimize the lint before shipping, but is that just my obsolete
                  service oriented philosophy?

                  Mo
                  >This is true, especially a 100% cotton sheet... I have found that I
                  >get a
                  >certain amount of lint and roughness to the edge with sharpest of
                  >knife
                  >when cutting Crane's Lettra 110# cover.... And, I have no one to
                  >blame for
                  >the knife since I grind and sharpen myself <grin>.
                  >
                  >- Lance Williams
                  >Williams Stationery Co.
                  >Camden, New York
                  >APA #785

                • richardtheroadie
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 8, 2007
                    From an offset printing point of view Kelly sucks as well. You can tell them till your blue in
                    the face but their cutting sucks. It varies on size and you get dust alot. The printer
                    upstairs from us order a pallet at a time and always has problems. If you can make friends
                    with a local printing shop order parents and get the shop to cut them. We do that for a few
                    people that we know. Cost varies from a good story to 10 or 20 bucks. Beer works better.
                    Good luck!!

                    --- InLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Mortenson" <kcmortenson@...> wrote:

                    > Hello All,
                    >
                    > Whenever I order pre-cut paper from Kelly paper, there are tons of tiny paper bits
                    hanging along the sides. Does anyone have an easy way to remove them?

                    > Many thanks!
                    >
                    > Karen Mortenson

                  • Karen Mortenson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 11, 2007
                      Many thanks for all of your suggestions regarding my pre-cut paper. I thought I was saving time having a "professional" do it for me.

                      Karen