Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: best-loved faces

  • lisa rappoport
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 4, 2007
      >Actually, I was hoping some of the folks involved in the recent
      >letterpress revival, the stationery/invitational card folks, would
      >have responded to this. Truth be told though, I can't really find
      >their representation on any of the letterpress lists. Not sure what
      >that says. Insular? Competitive? Letterpress is a selling point, but
      >no real further, deeper interest?

      Hi Gerald,
      As someone who prints invitations, along with other commercial work and my own personal work, the answer seems clear: One's own favorite faces are generally irrelevant. The customer will select the face, esp. if you're going the polymer plate route, in which case they can choose from whatever digital font, suitable or not, they've ever seen.

      With handset metal type obviously they're limited to what I have, and within that to what I have enough of, in appropriate sizes, for the job at hand. So it's a pre-selected selection.

      My house font has always been Centaur. I'm also very drawn to Garamond, esp. the italic; Bernhard Gothic, esp. the light weight; and some oddities like Greeting Monotone (rarely appropriate, but wonderful in the right usage) and Glamour Light.

      And I confess to some low tastes, like Park Avenue and Typo Upright.

      Best,
      Lisa
      Littoral Press
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2007
        Hi Lisa

        Well, yes, and no. I process plates for a number of
        stationery/invitational card folks—some of them quite high end and
        prolific—and the latter will either direct their clients
        appropriately, as designers should (I'd think), or (in regard to favs)
        they may have a line of cards developed in which they are using their
        own preferred faces.

        So, I'd suggest it is not always just what the client demands but
        often how they are directed to what they need. And, I would think, if
        they are coming to you (generic you), they are coming for a specific
        reason, your taste, your expertise, skill, what uniquely you have to
        offer, etc. Yes? No?

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, lisa rappoport <cutvelvet@...>
        wrote:

        > >Actually, I was hoping some of the folks involved in the recent
        > >letterpress revival, the stationery/invitational card folks, would
        > >have responded to this. Truth be told though, I can't really find
        > >their representation on any of the letterpress lists. Not sure what
        > >that says. Insular? Competitive? Letterpress is a selling point, but
        > >no real further, deeper interest?
        >
        > Hi Gerald,
        > As someone who prints invitations, along with other commercial work
        and my own personal work, the answer seems clear: One's own favorite
        faces are generally irrelevant. The customer will select the face,
        esp. if you're going the polymer plate route, in which case they can
        choose from whatever digital font, suitable or not, they've ever seen.

      • juliemackenzie2003
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 5, 2007
          Hi Gerald and Lisa-

          I am a custom invitation designer and also print for designers as
          well.

          I agree with Gerald, I tend to steer my clients in the directions of
          my tried and true typefaces. I have in my early days, tried
          different faces because it was what they liked. Often to my dismay.
          They liked the end result, but I fussed through the entire print
          process.

          When time allows, I will print for an occasional designer. Not
          always liking the design and type faces. I did one time get quite a
          surprise on a typeface that I thought was horrible. Hard to read and
          letters were not what I thought (in digital format) Yet when I
          printed it. It looked quite lovely. That was Escrita Principal.

          anyways, long story short. What the client wants is often what you
          will recommend within their design style.

          Thanks,
          Julie MacKenzie
          www.mackenziepress.com