Re: [PPLetterpress] Too small type?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
      Katie

      I've seen 4 point type printed beautifully on a very rough handmade.

      It's all in the details: roller height being one of the important ones.
      Also, stiff ink! Also, even rough paper can be coated with something that doesn't let the ink into the fiber...

      Also, as noted previously, check your rollers and trucks for perfect roundness.
      Flat spots in either will make your life miserable and guarantee inconsistent results, at best!

      So... keep at it ;-)

      Success comes to those who sweat and swear and gouge their fingers with a bodkin ;-)

      Sometimes...

      P.

      --
      -
      AzByCx DwEvFu GtHsIr JqKpLo MnNmOl PkQjRi ShTgUf VeWdXc YbZa& @

      Peter Fraterdeus http://www.midsummernightstamps.com
      www.semiotx.com Magical Images from the Moon's Garden!

      Whatever happened to the War Against Injustice and Poverty!
      End Terrorism? End Poverty!

      by the way its animals are treated." -- Mohandas Gandhi

      The War on Drugs Destroys Too Many Innocent Lives. Enough!
      http://www.dpf.org
    • Silver MayKitten
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
        4 to 6 point depending on the roughness of the stock. I had some
        stock with a blotter like surface that wouldn't stand for 8 point
        FOUNDRY type.

        It depends more on the paper than the typr of image carier.

        MayKitten
        --- Katie Harper <knharper@...> wrote:
        > Is there a limit as to how small type can be when printed on
        > uncoated rag
        > stock, such as Somerset textured or velvet? I have some very
        > small type on a
        > business card that is giving me fits. Had to raise up my rollers
        > (platen
        > press) considerably to avoid ink spreading to shoulders. It looks
        > fine on
        > uncoated stock, so it occurred to me that there may be limits.
        > This is about
        > 4 point sans serif... never a dull moment in the continuing
        > saga..
        >

        > Katie Harper
        > Ars Brevis Press
        > Cincinnati, OH
        > 513-233-9588

        =====
        Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

        From the book, Charge of the Goddess
        BY: Doreen Valiente

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Katie Harper
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
          Thanks to all for advice on the small type sizes. I was able to finally
          print successfully. What I did was raise up my rollers by putting tape on
          the tracks until the ink was TOO light, and then dropped them back down just
          about one thickness of masking tape and the printing looks fine now. My
          Craftsman press has adjustable tracks, but these are not easy to adjust and
          almost impossible to adjust minutely. I guess I would be, too, if I were
          over 80 years old...

          Not surprisingly, the printing is much better if I let the rollers go once
          over the form before impression. Since this greatly slows down the printing
          process, I decided to up the speed on the press to help accommodate for
          that. However, interestingly, once I was going at higher speed, the form was
          getting under-ink again on one side. All I can think of is that the higher
          speed somehow causes the rollers to not hit the form as solidly...??

          Anyway, I'm getting acceptable printing now, and that is what the client
          wants.

          Thanks again.

          Katie Harper
          Ars Brevis Press
          Cincinnati, OH
          513-233-9588

          > From: Silver MayKitten <maykitten1@...>
          > Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:42:02 -0700 (PDT)
          > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Too small type?
          >
          > 4 to 6 point depending on the roughness of the stock. I had some
          > stock with a blotter like surface that wouldn't stand for 8 point
          > FOUNDRY type.
          >
          > It depends more on the paper than the typr of image carier.
          >
          > MayKitten
          > --- Katie Harper <knharper@...> wrote:
          >> Is there a limit as to how small type can be when printed on
          >> uncoated rag
          >> stock, such as Somerset textured or velvet? I have some very
          >> small type on a
          >> business card that is giving me fits. Had to raise up my rollers
          >> (platen
          >> press) considerably to avoid ink spreading to shoulders. It looks
          >> fine on
          >> uncoated stock, so it occurred to me that there may be limits.
          >> This is about
          >> 4 point sans serif... never a dull moment in the continuing
          >> saga..
          >>

          >> Katie Harper
          >> Ars Brevis Press
          >> Cincinnati, OH
          >> 513-233-9588
          >>

          > =====
          > Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?
          > Yours is the road that winds lonely and far,
          > Strange are the shadows that round you come creeping,
          > Still through the clouds is the glint of a star!
          >
          > From the book, Charge of the Goddess
          > BY: Doreen Valiente

          > http://sbc.yahoo.com

          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          > ? Encountering problems? contact:
          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          > ? To unsubscribe:

        • Michael Andrews
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 14 12:06 PM
            Hello

            Trying to find a home for a Vandercook 232 proof
            press. It is a huge machine that requires space, 220
            volts and will be expensive to move.

            I would like to get $500 or best offer. Free to a good
            home in some non profit, specially if I can get
            visiting rights.

            Call me at 310 374-7672

            Thanks

            Michael Andrews

            Specs follow:

            VANDERCOOK 232 PROOF PRESS: $500
            Made for registering and proofing color plates
            Print Area: 30" x 32"
            1 long Ink roller