Re: [PPLetterpress] Printing and magic

  • Scott Rubel
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 23, 2006
      You never heard of Dard Hunter? He didn't just set his own type. He
      designed his own typeface and made his own type, 63 punches in all.
      He built his water wheel driven paper mill so he could manufacture
      his own paper to make his own book from scratch.

      All he should be a kernel of inspiration to all of us.
      http://www.dardhunter.com/About.htm

      I have some of Jay's Journals and to me they are obviously
      letterpress. Aside from the content, this is why I've treasured them.
      I've never tried using a loupe to detect this.

      I had the privilege of making a custom letterpress frame for a
      cabinet card introducing Ricky Jay's lecture at the Metropolitan
      Museum of Art.
      http://www.invitesite.com/col_ricky_jay_cd.html

      There is a link at the bottom which leads to Stephen Berkman's work,
      who made the image of Ricky.

      --Scott