Vandercook 232

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2002
      Michael Andrews contacted me regarding a Vandercook 232 he would like
      to sell. This is in working condition but needs new rollers. It has a
      30 inch wide printing bed and requires 220 volt. He also has a
      cabinet of metal type with Centaur, Albertus, etc., and two galley
      cabinets.

      Good price on all of this. He is located in Hermosa Beach,
      California. Email address is apeiron@....

      Please contact him, not me, for further details.

      Gerald
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
        Is there a limit as to how small type can be when printed on uncoated rag
        stock, such as Somerset textured or velvet? I have some very small type on a
        business card that is giving me fits. Had to raise up my rollers (platen
        press) considerably to avoid ink spreading to shoulders. It looks fine on
        uncoated stock, so it occurred to me that there may be limits. This is about
        4 point sans serif... never a dull moment in the continuing saga..

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
          Katie

          I've seen 4 point type printed beautifully on a very rough handmade.

          It's all in the details: roller height being one of the important ones.
          Also, stiff ink! Also, even rough paper can be coated with something that doesn't let the ink into the fiber...

          Also, as noted previously, check your rollers and trucks for perfect roundness.
          Flat spots in either will make your life miserable and guarantee inconsistent results, at best!

          So... keep at it ;-)

          Success comes to those who sweat and swear and gouge their fingers with a bodkin ;-)

          Sometimes...

          P.

          --
          -
          AzByCx DwEvFu GtHsIr JqKpLo MnNmOl PkQjRi ShTgUf VeWdXc YbZa& @

          Peter Fraterdeus http://www.midsummernightstamps.com
          www.semiotx.com Magical Images from the Moon's Garden!

          Whatever happened to the War Against Injustice and Poverty!
          End Terrorism? End Poverty!

          by the way its animals are treated." -- Mohandas Gandhi

          The War on Drugs Destroys Too Many Innocent Lives. Enough!
          http://www.dpf.org
        • Silver MayKitten
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
            4 to 6 point depending on the roughness of the stock. I had some
            stock with a blotter like surface that wouldn't stand for 8 point
            FOUNDRY type.

            It depends more on the paper than the typr of image carier.

            MayKitten
            --- Katie Harper <knharper@...> wrote:
            > Is there a limit as to how small type can be when printed on
            > uncoated rag
            > stock, such as Somerset textured or velvet? I have some very
            > small type on a
            > business card that is giving me fits. Had to raise up my rollers
            > (platen
            > press) considerably to avoid ink spreading to shoulders. It looks
            > fine on
            > uncoated stock, so it occurred to me that there may be limits.
            > This is about
            > 4 point sans serif... never a dull moment in the continuing
            > saga..
            >

            > Katie Harper
            > Ars Brevis Press
            > Cincinnati, OH
            > 513-233-9588

            =====
            Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

            From the book, Charge of the Goddess
            BY: Doreen Valiente

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • Katie Harper
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
              Thanks to all for advice on the small type sizes. I was able to finally
              print successfully. What I did was raise up my rollers by putting tape on
              the tracks until the ink was TOO light, and then dropped them back down just
              about one thickness of masking tape and the printing looks fine now. My
              Craftsman press has adjustable tracks, but these are not easy to adjust and
              almost impossible to adjust minutely. I guess I would be, too, if I were
              over 80 years old...

              Not surprisingly, the printing is much better if I let the rollers go once
              over the form before impression. Since this greatly slows down the printing
              process, I decided to up the speed on the press to help accommodate for
              that. However, interestingly, once I was going at higher speed, the form was
              getting under-ink again on one side. All I can think of is that the higher
              speed somehow causes the rollers to not hit the form as solidly...??

              Anyway, I'm getting acceptable printing now, and that is what the client
              wants.

              Thanks again.

              Katie Harper
              Ars Brevis Press
              Cincinnati, OH
              513-233-9588

              > From: Silver MayKitten <maykitten1@...>
              > Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:42:02 -0700 (PDT)
              > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Too small type?
              >
              > 4 to 6 point depending on the roughness of the stock. I had some
              > stock with a blotter like surface that wouldn't stand for 8 point
              > FOUNDRY type.
              >
              > It depends more on the paper than the typr of image carier.
              >
              > MayKitten
              > --- Katie Harper <knharper@...> wrote:
              >> Is there a limit as to how small type can be when printed on
              >> uncoated rag
              >> stock, such as Somerset textured or velvet? I have some very
              >> small type on a
              >> business card that is giving me fits. Had to raise up my rollers
              >> (platen
              >> press) considerably to avoid ink spreading to shoulders. It looks
              >> fine on
              >> uncoated stock, so it occurred to me that there may be limits.
              >> This is about
              >> 4 point sans serif... never a dull moment in the continuing
              >> saga..
              >>

              >> Katie Harper
              >> Ars Brevis Press
              >> Cincinnati, OH
              >> 513-233-9588
              >>

              > =====
              > Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?
              > Yours is the road that winds lonely and far,
              > Strange are the shadows that round you come creeping,
              > Still through the clouds is the glint of a star!
              >
              > From the book, Charge of the Goddess
              > BY: Doreen Valiente

              > http://sbc.yahoo.com

              > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              > ? Encountering problems? contact:
              > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
              > ? To unsubscribe:

            • Michael Andrews
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
                Hello

                Trying to find a home for a Vandercook 232 proof
                press. It is a huge machine that requires space, 220
                volts and will be expensive to move.

                I would like to get $500 or best offer. Free to a good
                home in some non profit, specially if I can get
                visiting rights.

                Call me at 310 374-7672

                Thanks

                Michael Andrews

                Specs follow:

                VANDERCOOK 232 PROOF PRESS: $500
                Made for registering and proofing color plates
                Print Area: 30" x 32"
                1 long Ink roller