Re: [PPLetterpress] Outlines in Illustrator

  • LSeastone@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2002
      Katie,

      Outlines of larger point sizes in illustrator is essential to good RIP
      output. However, when working with smaller point sizes why not place the
      illustrator file (with the larger points sizes outlined) in a Quark file that
      has the smaller point sizes as part of that Quark document? That is unless
      the treatment of the fonts needs the Illustrator advantages. But be very
      careful since the fonts in Illustrator when placed in Quark must then be
      outlined since often it will go unnoticed that the fonts are missing when
      collecting for download. A program such as Flightcheck can be of assistance
      in this checking for fonts.

      Leonard Seastone
      The Tideline Press
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2002
        Hmmm... I'm afraid I don't see the advantage of placing an Illustrator eps
        file into Quark. As far as I know, an Illustrator file placed in another
        program will still require the fonts. Quark will warn of missing fonts in an
        embedded EPS file when you go to print it, although admittedly, this
        function is far from perfect. However, your suggestion brought up another
        point. Perhaps using a PDF might work to get around the cumbersome packaging
        of fonts when sending files to service bureaus. However, I have not run
        tests to see if PDF will also change the look of the type. Has anyone else?

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588