Outlines in Illustrator

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2002
      Dear fellow printers:

      I have been following with interest the thread about ink traps, and I admire
      the work of those who are crafting digital fonts so that they print well
      with letterpress under a variety of conditions. However, I'm not at that
      stage (yet), and am trying to work with what I do have. To wit:

      For those of you (if any) who use Adobe Illustrator: I have had several
      service bureaus ask me to submit files to them with the fonts turned to
      outlines, which, as you may know, takes the fonts and makes them a graphic,
      thus obviating the need for also submitting fonts along with my file.
      However, this step really reeks havoc on smaller font sizes, apparently
      adding a bit of stroke, making them fatter than normal. With a laser proof,
      the fonts appear noticeably darker, almost bold. In printing, this usually
      adds way too much ink spread and the results become unacceptable. Even
      Adobe, in their Illustrator documentation, discourages using this step in
      smaller font sizes. There are some fonts where this effect is not so
      pronounced. Since I'm not a font technician, I don't know why it works
      sometimes for one font, but mostly not for all the rest.

      I have heard some say that this increase in bulk of the fonts is actually
      desirable in letterpress, that digital fonts are actually too thin by
      themselves and need a bit of "beefing up." But my own experience has been
      the opposite. Since I primarily print on soft rag papers, I don't need any
      additional spread, thank you. As a result, I encourage my service bureaus
      and platemakers to accept files with type as type, not outlines, and load
      the fonts. This makes an extra step for them, but I have yet to be charged
      extra for this, and I find it worthwhile.

      Are there others out there who have had similar experiences? Comments?
      Suggestions?

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
    • LSeastone@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2002
        Katie,

        Outlines of larger point sizes in illustrator is essential to good RIP
        output. However, when working with smaller point sizes why not place the
        illustrator file (with the larger points sizes outlined) in a Quark file that
        has the smaller point sizes as part of that Quark document? That is unless
        the treatment of the fonts needs the Illustrator advantages. But be very
        careful since the fonts in Illustrator when placed in Quark must then be
        outlined since often it will go unnoticed that the fonts are missing when
        collecting for download. A program such as Flightcheck can be of assistance
        in this checking for fonts.

        Leonard Seastone
        The Tideline Press
      • Katie Harper
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2002
          Hmmm... I'm afraid I don't see the advantage of placing an Illustrator eps
          file into Quark. As far as I know, an Illustrator file placed in another
          program will still require the fonts. Quark will warn of missing fonts in an
          embedded EPS file when you go to print it, although admittedly, this
          function is far from perfect. However, your suggestion brought up another
          point. Perhaps using a PDF might work to get around the cumbersome packaging
          of fonts when sending files to service bureaus. However, I have not run
          tests to see if PDF will also change the look of the type. Has anyone else?

          Katie Harper
          Ars Brevis Press
          Cincinnati, OH
          513-233-9588