Inktraps

  • dfType
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2002
      Dear Listers,

      Resuming the thread of inktraps discourse we worked out a PDF showing the
      different stages from the digital letter to the printing result and how
      inktraps work with the different cuts of our Rialto.
      The PDF can be found by going to the site at:
      and clicking on Files.
      When this page opens, click on Resources, Announcements.
      The PDF is listed here on this page as Intraps RialtoDF.pdf

      Note: anyone who wants to download this PDF or view it on screen will need a
      Yahoo ID to visite the site.

      You can also send us an e-mail inquiry and we will gladly send you the PDF
      in response and if you want also more detailled information about our
      Rialto.
      E-mail: dftype@...

      Hope to contribute with this message to a clear understanding about the
      issue as well as how our Rialto works.

      Best regards,

      Giovanni, Waltraud & Lui
      dfType
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2002
        Dear fellow printers:

        I have been following with interest the thread about ink traps, and I admire
        the work of those who are crafting digital fonts so that they print well
        with letterpress under a variety of conditions. However, I'm not at that
        stage (yet), and am trying to work with what I do have. To wit:

        For those of you (if any) who use Adobe Illustrator: I have had several
        service bureaus ask me to submit files to them with the fonts turned to
        outlines, which, as you may know, takes the fonts and makes them a graphic,
        thus obviating the need for also submitting fonts along with my file.
        However, this step really reeks havoc on smaller font sizes, apparently
        adding a bit of stroke, making them fatter than normal. With a laser proof,
        the fonts appear noticeably darker, almost bold. In printing, this usually
        adds way too much ink spread and the results become unacceptable. Even
        Adobe, in their Illustrator documentation, discourages using this step in
        smaller font sizes. There are some fonts where this effect is not so
        pronounced. Since I'm not a font technician, I don't know why it works
        sometimes for one font, but mostly not for all the rest.

        I have heard some say that this increase in bulk of the fonts is actually
        desirable in letterpress, that digital fonts are actually too thin by
        themselves and need a bit of "beefing up." But my own experience has been
        the opposite. Since I primarily print on soft rag papers, I don't need any
        additional spread, thank you. As a result, I encourage my service bureaus
        and platemakers to accept files with type as type, not outlines, and load
        the fonts. This makes an extra step for them, but I have yet to be charged
        extra for this, and I find it worthwhile.

        Are there others out there who have had similar experiences? Comments?
        Suggestions?

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
      • LSeastone@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2002
          Katie,

          Outlines of larger point sizes in illustrator is essential to good RIP
          output. However, when working with smaller point sizes why not place the
          illustrator file (with the larger points sizes outlined) in a Quark file that
          has the smaller point sizes as part of that Quark document? That is unless
          the treatment of the fonts needs the Illustrator advantages. But be very
          careful since the fonts in Illustrator when placed in Quark must then be
          outlined since often it will go unnoticed that the fonts are missing when
          collecting for download. A program such as Flightcheck can be of assistance
          in this checking for fonts.

          Leonard Seastone
          The Tideline Press
        • Katie Harper
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2002
            Hmmm... I'm afraid I don't see the advantage of placing an Illustrator eps
            file into Quark. As far as I know, an Illustrator file placed in another
            program will still require the fonts. Quark will warn of missing fonts in an
            embedded EPS file when you go to print it, although admittedly, this
            function is far from perfect. However, your suggestion brought up another
            point. Perhaps using a PDF might work to get around the cumbersome packaging
            of fonts when sending files to service bureaus. However, I have not run
            tests to see if PDF will also change the look of the type. Has anyone else?

            Katie Harper
            Ars Brevis Press
            Cincinnati, OH
            513-233-9588