Re: [PPLetterpress] RE:plate travel

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
      Brian Molanphy wrote:

      > sorry to trim yer message. i thought pin registration referred to paper not
      > plate, and i dunno what a kerf is. harold refers to 'blanks' to hold the
      > printing plate in place. i guess this means a polymer plate with no printing
      > image. and i guess a butt bar is a piece of furniture higher than the base
      > but shorter than type high, which abutts both the base and the edge of the
      > plate? to use this a printer must line up the plate edge with base edge?
      >
      > the plate travel on the bunting base occurs like harold says: big solids with
      > heavy impression move the plate away from the feedboard. worse than solids
      > are half-tones, in my limited experience.

      Brian and Harold

      Some final statements for my part, there is only so much one can say about
      this without endlessly repeating the same stuff over and over:

      I use blanks (cut pieces of plate material) to facilitate registration. If a
      plate is off by a measure in one corner, I move the one blank that measure and
      pick up the plate and slide it in position. I think the blanks prevent drift
      as well (as I keep them in position), and may be why I have not experienced
      plate travel (?). On a Bunting I use a padding knife or rounded bookbinders
      knife and slide that a bit under the plate until it releases, using the broad
      edge of the knife as lift, so I don't experience bent plates either. If you
      just lift one corner and pull back diagonally you will experience bending with
      any steel backed plate on any magnetic base. I have found you do not have to
      release a steel backed completely to make the adjustment, one edge can remain
      in contact with the base and the plate is just slid into position. Because of
      this, I don't experience the bent plate problem. I have found this to be more
      of a characteristic when you do use adhesives as you are then countering the
      natural lift of the plate. (Truth be told, I diagonally removed the plastic
      backed plate from the Boxcar base and the adhesive stretched and bunched up
      and was unusable. Sorry, Harold!!!)

      A kerf is simply an incision or line cut across the surface of the base. These
      are quite common in bases used for straight-line scoring and the like (the
      cutting blade is inserted into them). They can prevent travel because the
      surface disturbance provides friction. You would not want these direct under
      printable image though. Yes, Brian, you are correct on the purpose of a butt
      bar. I've only used these on a Patmag, not on a Bunting. And yes, pin
      registration is a low profile registration pin plugged into the base. I could
      be remembering wrong but I thought that Bradley Hutchinson once told me he
      used these on Patmags as well. Bradley?

      Gerald
    • bielerpr
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
        Haven't done a large solid in years, but used to use photoengraved
        plates on a honeycomb base to do so (I still do if I'm working with a
        four color job). These always seemed to work out well registration-
        wise but getting adequate ink coverage was the problem unless I opted
        for copper—usually only did this when I needed to capture detail).
        Photopolymer is a much more receptive printing surface but if there
        is a tendency for the plate to travel, as the concensus here seems to
        indicate, probably safer to stick with the honeycomb base and deal
        with the inking problem?

        Gerald

        "Joel Benson" <joel.benson@p...> wrote:
        But that plate-creep can be a real bugaboo, esp. if you need very
        accurate register. Spray adhesive, tape on the edge of the plate,
        butted up pieces of blank plate material- all those remedies have
        failed me when the plate has decided it must creep.