Re: [PPLetterpress] step toward the press (was roller height ...)

  • Mark Wilden
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 12, 2006
      From: "v918man" <moxon@...>

      > I just wanted people to
      look and listen and not have take notes. Instead I get quoted for off-hand
      remarks,

      Not to worry, Paul. In fact, I found your / Gerald's remark about which
      direction to turn the roller adjustment screws in your handout.

      What I did learn from your classes (by looking and listening, not by taking
      notes) was:

      1) It's a worthy endeavor to shine up your press. I use that Nevr-Dull that
      you recommended. In the process of cleaning it really well, I think you get
      to learn learn the press better. Plus, you have more respect for it.

      2) Don't be afraid of changing packing. I know I was, before taking the
      class. One problem is that on a 317, where the paper feeds from underneath
      the cylinder, changing packing is harder than for a normal top-feeding
      press. But it can be done, and I've learned to do it. As a result, I've
      gotten rid of the ridiculous blanket and use hard packing.

      3) Don't be afraid of adjusting roller height. I probably spent a half hour
      last night fooling with it, but the results make it worth it. But I still
      have to think "right raises, left lowers." :)

      ///ark