Re: [PPLetterpress] Re:Dwell?

  • Graham and Kathy
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2006
      With the "Improved Gordon" isn't the 'improvement' the dwell? I appreciate
      that it occurs at both lay and impression, but I have always assumed that
      the purpose was the extention of time at the point of impression rather than
      at the point of laying the paper down. Or is that improvement only available
      on Arab presses (which in the UK we consider to be the "Improved Gordon"
      machine.

      And I'm sure I get better inking by running the Vandercook slower, surely
      the equivalent of dwell on a cylinder press.

      Graham Moss
      Incline Press
      36 Bow Street
      Oldham OL1 1SJ England
      http://www.inclinepress.com

      On 8/12/06 19:28, "David Goodrich" <davidgoodrich@...> wrote:

      > Rummonds is a big believer in dwell, but I personally can't see that it
      > makes any difference on my Washington press. I suppose there is some point
      > at which the contact of paper to an inked surface is so fast that the ink
      > hasn't time to transfer, but I suspect it is measured in nanoseconds rather
      > than anything we mortals could control.
      > David
    • Susan Angebranndt
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2006
        This article in this Sunday's New York Times about the current interest in
        letterpress printing starts off with a picture of Eric Holub (who often
        contributes to this list) and one of the Vandercooks at the SF Center for
        the Book

        http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/arts/design/10hols.html