Re: Dwell

  • Norman L McKnight
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2006
      I can understand how a brief "dwell" might enhance impression and
      inking on dampened paper on a handpress. I don't actually think it
      is possible on a cylinder press, since, as Gerald has observed, the
      cylinder only covers a tiny area at a time.

      I typically slow the cylinder when printing on my Vandercook 325GH,
      but it is only to make the hand momentum even & consistent in its
      motion & to grasp the sheet as it exits the grippers.

      The really important factors in impression are, as Lance points out,
      packing, make-ready, inking, paper, etc. I do allow a very brief
      "dwell" on my small Albion, but I would be hard put to distinguish
      it from what naturally occurs at the end of a mechanical maneouvr
      or just some silly handpress affectation I have acquired.

      Norman McKnight
      Philoxenia Press
      Berkeley