Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: recycled paper

  • Charles D. Jones
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 6, 2006
      Well there, (imagine a fake John Wayne accent drawling) little lady,
      here in Texas we don't hold with any Sheep poo, we use genuine bull hocky.
      (how in the world did you find sheep poo paper?)
      Charles

      On 12/5/06, kseniya thomas <kseniya.thomas@...> wrote:

      > There's also this option, though not sure of its suitability for
      > letterpress:
      >
      > http://www.creativepaperwales.co.uk/
      >
      > --
      >
      > Thomas-Printers
      > Letterpress and Design
      > thomas-printers.com

    • Bethany Carter
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 6, 2006
        Hello everyone, just wanted to say thanks for all the info. on my question
        about recycled paper, it really helped out with this client!!!

        Bethany

        >From: "Charles D. Jones" <charlesdjones@...>
        >To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: recycled paper
        >Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 22:31:29 -0600
        >
        >Well there, (imagine a fake John Wayne accent drawling) little lady,
        >here in Texas we don't hold with any Sheep poo, we use genuine bull hocky.
        >(how in the world did you find sheep poo paper?)
        >Charles
        >
        >On 12/5/06, kseniya thomas <kseniya.thomas@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > There's also this option, though not sure of its suitability for
        > > letterpress:
        > >
        > > http://www.creativepaperwales.co.uk/
        > >
        > > --
        > >
        > > Thomas-Printers
        > > Letterpress and Design
        > > thomas-printers.com

        friends module.
      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 7, 2006
          Some googling finds you Panda Poo, Elk Poo, Kangaroo Poo, Bison Poo,
          Sheep Poo, and Elephant Poo papers. Anyone know of others?
          http://www.dunganddunger.net
          http://www.forestrycenter.org/headlines.cfm?refID=75109
          http://www.thenewchay.com/news/news.cfm?dir=oddities&file=K112211AU&n=1
          http://www.creativepapermill.org/home.htm
          http://www.elliepoopaper.co.uk

          Charles D. Jones wrote:

          >Well there, (imagine a fake John Wayne accent drawling) little lady,
          >here in Texas we don't hold with any Sheep poo, we use genuine bull hocky.
          >(how in the world did you find sheep poo paper?)
          >Charles

        • Graham and Kathy
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 7, 2006
            Enclosed the reply to my query from the sheepshit paper people. I'm inclined
            from the description to think that this is a must to avoid, even for
            covering a pamphlet. I'd rather not risk my type on "rough texture akin to
            woodchip wallpapers", but polymer plates might stand up to it better. And
            the 280gsm paper is a bit much for me to find a use for, let alone the small
            sheet size. Pity really - I do like to support enterprises like this.

            Graham Moss
            Incline Press
            36 Bow Street
            Oldham OL1 1SJ England
            http://www.inclinepress.com

            > So far our paper has only been run through domestic inkjet, litho and digital
            > presses - we have yet to experiment with a letterpress, despite the fact that
            > I actually own one, sitting idle in my attic space!
            >
            > In terms of the variants in our paper we currently produce two 'types' by two
            > different methods:
            >
            > We produce handmade papers which, although we are able to vary the output
            > almost endlessly, generally have a rough texture akin to woodchip wallpapers -
            > these handmade papers are supplied to bespoke requests, and sell at around £10
            > per rough SRA2 sheet.
            >
            > We also occassionaly hire a museum piece "Fourdrinier" machine from a UK
            > papermaking museum, and due to the limitations of this machine this only
            > produces (at present) a stock board of 280gsm, antique finish - this is smooth
            > and takes print well - you can see the slight speckles from the sheep poo in
            > the paper. We use this stock board for our product range, and it sells for
            > £1.25 per sheet of A4.
            >
            > If you can give me an idea of how much of each type you require for your
            > experiments I can compose an order for you in the Bespoke Papers & Products
            > section of our website - we have a policy of not supplying samples, as we are
            > a very small company and receive a very larege number of requests - we simply
            > couldn't afford this approach. We have also refused the commercial director
            > of Prince Charles's estate - so there's no favouritism given anywhere!
            >
            > I look forwards to hearing from you.
            >
            > Very kindest regards
            >
            > Lawrence Toms
            > CREATIVE PAPER WALES
          • Julie Larson
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 7, 2006
              Perhaps we should inform the fine marketing department folks at despair dot com about these perfect media for their products....

              Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote: Some googling finds you Panda Poo, Elk Poo, Kangaroo Poo, Bison Poo,

              Charles D. Jones wrote:

              >Well there, (imagine a fake John Wayne accent drawling) little lady,
              >here in Texas we don't hold with any Sheep poo, we use genuine bull hocky.
              >(how in the world did you find sheep poo paper?)
              >Charles

            • Michael Babcock
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 7, 2006
                Did anyone mention that Neenah Environment is made from 100% post-consumer furnish?

                Perhaps it's too "run-of-the-mill" so to speak?

                http://www.neenahpaper.com/ENVIRONMENT/index.asp

                mjb
              • alex brooks
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 7, 2006
                  On Dec 7, 2006, at 9:44 PM, Michael Babcock wrote:
                  > Did anyone mention that Neenah Environment is made from 100% post-
                  > consumer furnish?
                  >
                  > Perhaps it's too "run-of-the-mill" so to speak?

                  I have used environment. I like neenah paper in general - for what
                  the paper's intended for. It's a bit hard for letterpress, and if you
                  like a deep impression and use metal type, you'll F up your type.

                  What I understand, 100% post-consumer is "better" than 100% recycled,
                  and most of their PC paper is bleach & chem free too, i think.

                  -alex
                  press817
                  lex, ky
                • Dave Wofford
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 8, 2006
                    Greenfield makes an interesting recycled machine made sheet called Hemp
                    Heritage which I¹ve enjoyed printing on for a few years.
                    25% hemp, 75% pcw, processed chlorine free.
                    Available in 60 text, 70 cover, 110 cover (envelopes as well).
                    Laid finish is a little more subtle than most commercial ³laid² papers.
                    Neutral white with quiet warm flecks.
                    The 70 cover has smooth wove finish on one side, the 110 cover is laid both
                    sides.
                    Their website is more geared to home consumer type orders but if you ask,
                    you can get a price sheet for buying 23 x 35 cartons and largeish envelope
                    quantities.
                    http://www.greenfieldpaper.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fpage=1&categoryI
                    D=4&productID=25&cartID=199121275
                    They are in California but paper is also made and stored in Massachussets.

                    Does anyone remember a kenaf/pcw blend that Crane was making (mid 90s)?
                    Anyone hear if they will ever revive it?
                    I¹ve called them every couple years asking them to bring it back, they keep
                    saying they are ³considering² it, but don¹t get past that.
                    Maybe if others called them letting them know there is interest in a machine
                    made kenaf/pcw blend sheet?

                    If any has knowledge of any other companies making machine made
                    kenaf/recycled blend sheets I¹d be interested.
                    I¹m always looking for commercial papers with above 30%pcw that are higher
                    grade than French, Neenah, etc ;
                    but less expensive than Somerset and mouldmades. Especially ones that have a
                    nice finish/tooth and exploring strong annual plant fibers such as kenaf,
                    hemp.

                    Dave

                    Dave Wofford
                    H O R S E  &  B U G G Y  P R E S S
                    Design, Letterpress Printing & More--for the Jet Age & Beyond
                    401-B1 Foster St
                    Durham, North Carolina 27701
                    horseandbuggypress@...
                    no fax, just rumors