Re: alternative base etc.

  • cc
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3 12:25 PM
      Gerald. Have you started teaching the digital workshop at Otis that you
      mentioned?
      CC

      > I tested out a Boxcar Base (w/anodized grid) and plate for the first
      > time last night. It is a thing of beauty and while I am not a fan of
      > plastic-backed plates and using film or spray adhesives, it worked
      > out quite well. The film adhesive seems much less problematic than
      > others I have worked with. I was impressed. I certainly would
      > recommend this as an economic alternative to the Bunting, especially
      > for institutional uses. I wasn't able to test this for travel so at
      > this point I can't verify the claim that they don't.
      >
      > I also tested this out on a film negative sent to me from Xante which
      > was produced on one of their 2400dpi laser printers w/film neg
      > processing. That, surprisingly, worked out well also. Even the small
      > 3pt type on the neg rendered and printed well given the fact that I
      > was working on a press I was a bit unfamiliar with and not set up in
      > the way I would normally want to work. This was a demo for my students.
      >
      > Think I could easily say that this is quite the combo for
      > institutional/instructional use. For professional bookwork I'm still
      > learning toward the Bunting.

    • bielerpr
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 25 10:28 AM
        --- In PPLetterpress@y..., cc <fuzzy44@e...> wrote:
        > Gerald. Have you started teaching the digital workshop at Otis that you
        > mentioned?
        > CC

        Hi

        Finally got the info. This is what I've got going re: letterpress
        this fall:

        Art Center at Night
        Finer Points in Letterpress Typography
        Classes are held at Archetype Press
        on Tuesday nights from 7:00 pm to 10:00 beginning September 10 and
        running 14 weeks
        Phone 626-396-2319
        Registration begins July 29

        Otis Evening College Art & Design Programs
        Digital Letterpress
        Classes are held at Otis Lab Press
        on Saturday mornings from 9:30 am to 12:30 beginning September 7 and
        running 10 weeks
        Phone 310-665-6850
        Registration begins July 30

        These are both community access with limited enrollment,

        All best