Founder's Caslon letterpress

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2001
      Dear Justin

      One of the reasons the Lanston line, especially their Caslon Oldstyle,
      No. 337 works so well "straight out of the can," so to speak, is
      because the faces were digitized from the original master patterns.
      The masters were pulled as reverse proofs on a Vandercook, then
      scanned and digitized. At the 10-14 pt size range these are quite
      exacting replications of the metal type designs.

      To some extent, because of this, they have very limited usefullness in
      the digital environment. They are quite attenuated. I've found that
      Hoefler's HT Didot works similarly well, especially the extremely
      light versions, for the very same reason.

      I've printed out a few samples of the Founder's Caslon. Quite a nice
      job there by the by. The sizing is amazing and hardly an inconvenience
      as one might expect (odd statement coming from an old metal type guy,
      huh?). I cannot imagine that FC would need to be converted. I will run
      a test one of these days, but from looking at them I can't see how
      there would be any room left for letterpress configuration without
      loss of letterform integrity.

      Hopefully, will send you FC "with impression" soon.

      Might be useful to set up a database here of digital typefaces that
      print well without alteration?

      All best

      Ger
    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2001
        Group:

        Fontlab was mentioned on this list a week or so ago, and I wondered
        how many people on the list were using it instead of Fontographer
        (which I use). Is anyone here familiar with both programs enough to
        compare their ability to letterpress-optimize digital type? We can
        expect an upgrade with Fontlab, whereas we can't with Fontographe
        (...right?). Are there other advantages? Do any font programs plan to
        offer OpenType support?

        Thanks,
        Harold Kyle

        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
        Boxcar Press
        640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
        www.boxcarpress.com
        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2001
          Harold

          Can't with any authority answer the question but I have put the links
          to the various font-editing programs (Ikurus, Fontographer, FontLab,
          RoboFog) in Bookmarks.

          Ger

          --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Harold Kyle <harold@b...> wrote:
          > Group:
          >
          > Fontlab was mentioned on this list a week or so ago, and I wondered
          > how many people on the list were using it instead of Fontographer
          > (which I use). Is anyone here familiar with both programs enough to
          > compare their ability to letterpress-optimize digital type? We can
          > expect an upgrade with Fontlab, whereas we can't with Fontographe
          > (...right?). Are there other advantages? Do any font programs plan to
          > offer OpenType support?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Harold Kyle
          >
          > ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
          > Boxcar Press
          > Fine Printing and Binding ~ Digital Letterpress Supplies
          > 640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
          > www.boxcarpress.com
          > ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
        • Justin Howes
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2001
            Fontlab is a wonderful program, and will be even more wonderful when
            upgraded to version 4 (which will indeed support OpenType). I used it for
            the Founder's Caslon fonts, mentioned recently by Gerald Lange. In terms of
            how it compares with Fontographer, specifically for PP-optimising fonts, its
            biggest advantage may be that the 'bold' option allows you to alter
            horizontal and vertical weight independently.

            Justin Howes

            website: http://www.hwcaslon.com Home of Caslon Old Face, the world's oldest
            living typeface.
            email: jhowes@...

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 1, 2001
              Dear PPL members

              For those of you who do have Fontographer I have put a simple font
              modification sequence in Files. I'd also refer you to Stephen Moye's
              book Fontographer: Type by Design for more sophisticated approaches to
              modifying fonts. This is now out-of-print but occasionally a copy
              shows up on the various book dealer lists. I have also put a link to
              Fontographer in Bookmarks. If you follow this you will also find a
              number of tech tips for using Fontographer.

              Having said all this, I too eagerly await the new version of FontLab.
              I have the first version for the Mac and it won't run on my computer.
              But I have heard great things about it from Justin and others. In that
              regard I have also put a link in Bookmarks to the TYPO-L archives
              where there was a lengthy discussion regarding the pros and cons of FL
              and FOG.

              All best

              Ger