Re: [PPLetterpress] Rollers...?

  • Scott Rubel
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
      I have a few 10X15 C&P preses and they all only have three rollers. --Scott

      londonbellman wrote:

      >One more question... For a 10x15 is it possible to print well with 3 rollers on the press
      >instead 4? The reason I ask is American printing supply sells a set of three even though
      >the press holds four. Why is this? I am guessing that three would do the trick if your are
      >not running it with an auto feeder? Is this correct or am I way off base? Thanks
      >again,London

    • Gary Mordhorst
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
        The C+P Old Series and New Series, 12 X 18 and smaller all have three rollers. All C+P Craftsman and C+P 14 1/2 X 22 have four form rollers. A press that is designed to use four rollers will not work properly with three, as the roller hooks are a pair of two on each roller arm.

        Best regards,

        Gary Mordhorst
        AccuColor Plus, Inc.
        2134 W. Division
        Chicago, IL 60622

        www.accucolor.com

        (773) 227-7788

        londonbellman wrote:

        >One more question... For a 10x15 is it possible to print well with 3 rollers on the press
        >instead 4? The reason I ask is American printing supply sells a set of three even though
        >the press holds four. Why is this? I am guessing that three would do the trick if your are
        >not running it with an auto feeder? Is this correct or am I way off base? Thanks
        >again,London

      • dredaker
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
          Hello my name is Don and I am new to the discussion group and I am
          more of a machinist than a printer as I am just getting back into
          letterpress printing after thirty years . Therefore I plan to do more
          watching and learning than commenting.
          However on the subject of roller carriers, having rebuilt presses,
          there is a key way on the double hook carriers to prevent the head
          from turning and being caught between the bed and platen and not on
          the single head carriers, this would need to be addressed if a double
          head is put in instead of a single head

          Don Hildred
          The ReNonsense Man
          LaPorte Colorado
        • speedgray@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
            Don:

            There is a keyway on the double saddle, but not on the single. If the double
            saddle were to get twisted (if there was not a keyway) when running the
            press with no rollers, doing diecutting for example, it could become severely
            damaged by hitting roller ways, or other nearby parts of the press.

            Speed Gray, APA 736
            Ada, MI

          • london bellman
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
              Thanks to everyone for the roller help. It does have
              four rollers on the C and P Craftsman as a few of you
              stated. Good to know not run it with three. Thanks to
              all .Regards,London

              http://new.mail.yahoo.com
            • wa0dfw@copper.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2, 2006
                >Is there any place that remanufactures tandem saddles that has the
                >oscillator roller?

                I don't know about remanufacturing the tandem roller saddles, but
                I've posted a photo of my "pyramid" roller, which is not quite an
                oscillator but really helps the inking on my 8 x 12.

                You can see it at:

                http://www.twopiglets.com/kluge/parts/

                Click on the link for "pyramid or rider roller"

                You can easily make a rider from any suitable excess roller this way.

                Mo
              • wa0dfw@copper.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2006
                  You are exactly right, Speed. Don't ask me how I know this!

                  :-(

                  Mo