Re: Rollers...?

  • John G. Henry
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
      Speed:

      You're right on regarding good rollers.

      If you amortize the life of the rollers, you're talking about
      pennies a day.

      I still use composition rollers for numbering on my Union Treadle
      press because the roller springs are not tight enough to overcome
      the durometer of the rubber rollers and the plunger numbering
      machines I use. No problems on my Little Giant with that, however,
      so I use rubber all the time.

      I think most of us are penny-pinchers at heart, and would rather
      spend our money on some gadget or interesting equipment than on
      rollers. For the same reason, there are a lot of houses across the
      country in need of paint or new plumbing, but contain 50" plasma
      screen TVs.

      John Henry
      Cedar Creek Press

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, speedgray@... wrote:

      > I am sometimes curious as to the hesitation by printers regarding
      purchasing
      > good rollers. Seems there is always someone trying to take some
      shortcuts to
      > stretch the life out of rollers in poor condition. In my opinion,
      there is
      > nothing more important to spend your letterpress money on than
      good rollers.
      > Without smooth, even rollers on your press, you cannot do your
      best work. When
      > the rollers get hard, cracked, pitted, or begin reverting put them
      in the
      > trash and buy new. High quality rubber rollers will last for years
      when taken
      > care of. It's the best money you can spend in your printshop.
      >
      > Speed Gray, APA 736
      > Letterpress Green Sheet
      > Ada, MI

    • Scott Rubel
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
        I have a few 10X15 C&P preses and they all only have three rollers. --Scott

        londonbellman wrote:

        >One more question... For a 10x15 is it possible to print well with 3 rollers on the press
        >instead 4? The reason I ask is American printing supply sells a set of three even though
        >the press holds four. Why is this? I am guessing that three would do the trick if your are
        >not running it with an auto feeder? Is this correct or am I way off base? Thanks
        >again,London

      • Gary Mordhorst
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
          The C+P Old Series and New Series, 12 X 18 and smaller all have three rollers. All C+P Craftsman and C+P 14 1/2 X 22 have four form rollers. A press that is designed to use four rollers will not work properly with three, as the roller hooks are a pair of two on each roller arm.

          Best regards,

          Gary Mordhorst
          AccuColor Plus, Inc.
          2134 W. Division
          Chicago, IL 60622

          www.accucolor.com

          (773) 227-7788

          londonbellman wrote:

          >One more question... For a 10x15 is it possible to print well with 3 rollers on the press
          >instead 4? The reason I ask is American printing supply sells a set of three even though
          >the press holds four. Why is this? I am guessing that three would do the trick if your are
          >not running it with an auto feeder? Is this correct or am I way off base? Thanks
          >again,London

        • dredaker
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
            Hello my name is Don and I am new to the discussion group and I am
            more of a machinist than a printer as I am just getting back into
            letterpress printing after thirty years . Therefore I plan to do more
            watching and learning than commenting.
            However on the subject of roller carriers, having rebuilt presses,
            there is a key way on the double hook carriers to prevent the head
            from turning and being caught between the bed and platen and not on
            the single head carriers, this would need to be addressed if a double
            head is put in instead of a single head

            Don Hildred
            The ReNonsense Man
            LaPorte Colorado
          • speedgray@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
              Don:

              There is a keyway on the double saddle, but not on the single. If the double
              saddle were to get twisted (if there was not a keyway) when running the
              press with no rollers, doing diecutting for example, it could become severely
              damaged by hitting roller ways, or other nearby parts of the press.

              Speed Gray, APA 736
              Ada, MI

            • london bellman
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                Thanks to everyone for the roller help. It does have
                four rollers on the C and P Craftsman as a few of you
                stated. Good to know not run it with three. Thanks to
                all .Regards,London

                http://new.mail.yahoo.com
              • wa0dfw@copper.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2006
                  >Is there any place that remanufactures tandem saddles that has the
                  >oscillator roller?

                  I don't know about remanufacturing the tandem roller saddles, but
                  I've posted a photo of my "pyramid" roller, which is not quite an
                  oscillator but really helps the inking on my 8 x 12.

                  You can see it at:

                  http://www.twopiglets.com/kluge/parts/

                  Click on the link for "pyramid or rider roller"

                  You can easily make a rider from any suitable excess roller this way.

                  Mo
                • wa0dfw@copper.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2006
                    You are exactly right, Speed. Don't ask me how I know this!

                    :-(

                    Mo