Re: [PPLetterpress] Rollers...?

  • Keith Berger
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
      Is there any place that remanufactures tandem saddles that has the
      oscillator roller?

      Keith

      Leaders in yesterday's technology.
      ***
      The Graphic Touch Letterpress Company
      Salem, Ohio
      800-433-1288
      On Dec 1, 2006, at 9:08 AM, speedgray@... wrote:

      > Listers:
      >
      > Not all 10x15 C&Ps had four form rollers. I have a Model N from the
      > mid-60s
      > that has only three form rollers. But, even with heavy coverage and
      > using the
      > oscillators, I have never had an instance of poor ink coverage or
      > ghosting.
      >
      > However, don't run a single roller in a tandem saddle without
      > carefully
      > checking the motion of the press by turning it over by hand through a
      > complete
      > cycle.
      >
      > I am sometimes curious as to the hesitation by printers regarding
      > purchasing
      > good rollers. Seems there is always someone trying to take some
      > shortcuts to
      > stretch the life out of rollers in poor condition. In my opinion,
      > there is
      > nothing more important to spend your letterpress money on than good
      > rollers.
      > Without smooth, even rollers on your press, you cannot do your best
      > work. When
      > the rollers get hard, cracked, pitted, or begin reverting put them in
      > the
      > trash and buy new. High quality rubber rollers will last for years
      > when taken
      > care of. It's the best money you can spend in your printshop.
      >
      > Speed Gray, APA 736
      > Letterpress Green Sheet
      > Ada, MI

    • John G. Henry
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
        Speed:

        You're right on regarding good rollers.

        If you amortize the life of the rollers, you're talking about
        pennies a day.

        I still use composition rollers for numbering on my Union Treadle
        press because the roller springs are not tight enough to overcome
        the durometer of the rubber rollers and the plunger numbering
        machines I use. No problems on my Little Giant with that, however,
        so I use rubber all the time.

        I think most of us are penny-pinchers at heart, and would rather
        spend our money on some gadget or interesting equipment than on
        rollers. For the same reason, there are a lot of houses across the
        country in need of paint or new plumbing, but contain 50" plasma
        screen TVs.

        John Henry
        Cedar Creek Press

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, speedgray@... wrote:

        > I am sometimes curious as to the hesitation by printers regarding
        purchasing
        > good rollers. Seems there is always someone trying to take some
        shortcuts to
        > stretch the life out of rollers in poor condition. In my opinion,
        there is
        > nothing more important to spend your letterpress money on than
        good rollers.
        > Without smooth, even rollers on your press, you cannot do your
        best work. When
        > the rollers get hard, cracked, pitted, or begin reverting put them
        in the
        > trash and buy new. High quality rubber rollers will last for years
        when taken
        > care of. It's the best money you can spend in your printshop.
        >
        > Speed Gray, APA 736
        > Letterpress Green Sheet
        > Ada, MI

      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
          I have a few 10X15 C&P preses and they all only have three rollers. --Scott

          londonbellman wrote:

          >One more question... For a 10x15 is it possible to print well with 3 rollers on the press
          >instead 4? The reason I ask is American printing supply sells a set of three even though
          >the press holds four. Why is this? I am guessing that three would do the trick if your are
          >not running it with an auto feeder? Is this correct or am I way off base? Thanks
          >again,London

        • Gary Mordhorst
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
            The C+P Old Series and New Series, 12 X 18 and smaller all have three rollers. All C+P Craftsman and C+P 14 1/2 X 22 have four form rollers. A press that is designed to use four rollers will not work properly with three, as the roller hooks are a pair of two on each roller arm.

            Best regards,

            Gary Mordhorst
            AccuColor Plus, Inc.
            2134 W. Division
            Chicago, IL 60622

            www.accucolor.com

            (773) 227-7788

            londonbellman wrote:

            >One more question... For a 10x15 is it possible to print well with 3 rollers on the press
            >instead 4? The reason I ask is American printing supply sells a set of three even though
            >the press holds four. Why is this? I am guessing that three would do the trick if your are
            >not running it with an auto feeder? Is this correct or am I way off base? Thanks
            >again,London

          • dredaker
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
              Hello my name is Don and I am new to the discussion group and I am
              more of a machinist than a printer as I am just getting back into
              letterpress printing after thirty years . Therefore I plan to do more
              watching and learning than commenting.
              However on the subject of roller carriers, having rebuilt presses,
              there is a key way on the double hook carriers to prevent the head
              from turning and being caught between the bed and platen and not on
              the single head carriers, this would need to be addressed if a double
              head is put in instead of a single head

              Don Hildred
              The ReNonsense Man
              LaPorte Colorado
            • speedgray@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                Don:

                There is a keyway on the double saddle, but not on the single. If the double
                saddle were to get twisted (if there was not a keyway) when running the
                press with no rollers, doing diecutting for example, it could become severely
                damaged by hitting roller ways, or other nearby parts of the press.

                Speed Gray, APA 736
                Ada, MI

              • london bellman
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                  Thanks to everyone for the roller help. It does have
                  four rollers on the C and P Craftsman as a few of you
                  stated. Good to know not run it with three. Thanks to
                  all .Regards,London

                  http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                • wa0dfw@copper.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2006
                    >Is there any place that remanufactures tandem saddles that has the
                    >oscillator roller?

                    I don't know about remanufacturing the tandem roller saddles, but
                    I've posted a photo of my "pyramid" roller, which is not quite an
                    oscillator but really helps the inking on my 8 x 12.

                    You can see it at:

                    http://www.twopiglets.com/kluge/parts/

                    Click on the link for "pyramid or rider roller"

                    You can easily make a rider from any suitable excess roller this way.

                    Mo
                  • wa0dfw@copper.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 2, 2006
                      You are exactly right, Speed. Don't ask me how I know this!

                      :-(

                      Mo