Re: Rollers...?

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Williams"
      <lwwill7999@...> wrote:

      > The 10x15 Craftsman has 4 rollers.
      [. . .]

      > I would not try to run with just 3 rollers because the saddle brackets
      > would not support the single roller properly, and might snap from
      stress in
      > the operation of the press....

      Lance, are the Craftsman rollers identical to regular C&P rollers? If
      so it should be possible to take an old bare core, put trucks on it
      and place it in the fourth position to balance the saddle.
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • Keith Berger
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
        Is there any place that remanufactures tandem saddles that has the
        oscillator roller?

        Keith

        Leaders in yesterday's technology.
        ***
        The Graphic Touch Letterpress Company
        Salem, Ohio
        800-433-1288
        On Dec 1, 2006, at 9:08 AM, speedgray@... wrote:

        > Listers:
        >
        > Not all 10x15 C&Ps had four form rollers. I have a Model N from the
        > mid-60s
        > that has only three form rollers. But, even with heavy coverage and
        > using the
        > oscillators, I have never had an instance of poor ink coverage or
        > ghosting.
        >
        > However, don't run a single roller in a tandem saddle without
        > carefully
        > checking the motion of the press by turning it over by hand through a
        > complete
        > cycle.
        >
        > I am sometimes curious as to the hesitation by printers regarding
        > purchasing
        > good rollers. Seems there is always someone trying to take some
        > shortcuts to
        > stretch the life out of rollers in poor condition. In my opinion,
        > there is
        > nothing more important to spend your letterpress money on than good
        > rollers.
        > Without smooth, even rollers on your press, you cannot do your best
        > work. When
        > the rollers get hard, cracked, pitted, or begin reverting put them in
        > the
        > trash and buy new. High quality rubber rollers will last for years
        > when taken
        > care of. It's the best money you can spend in your printshop.
        >
        > Speed Gray, APA 736
        > Letterpress Green Sheet
        > Ada, MI

      • John G. Henry
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
          Speed:

          You're right on regarding good rollers.

          If you amortize the life of the rollers, you're talking about
          pennies a day.

          I still use composition rollers for numbering on my Union Treadle
          press because the roller springs are not tight enough to overcome
          the durometer of the rubber rollers and the plunger numbering
          machines I use. No problems on my Little Giant with that, however,
          so I use rubber all the time.

          I think most of us are penny-pinchers at heart, and would rather
          spend our money on some gadget or interesting equipment than on
          rollers. For the same reason, there are a lot of houses across the
          country in need of paint or new plumbing, but contain 50" plasma
          screen TVs.

          John Henry
          Cedar Creek Press

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, speedgray@... wrote:

          > I am sometimes curious as to the hesitation by printers regarding
          purchasing
          > good rollers. Seems there is always someone trying to take some
          shortcuts to
          > stretch the life out of rollers in poor condition. In my opinion,
          there is
          > nothing more important to spend your letterpress money on than
          good rollers.
          > Without smooth, even rollers on your press, you cannot do your
          best work. When
          > the rollers get hard, cracked, pitted, or begin reverting put them
          in the
          > trash and buy new. High quality rubber rollers will last for years
          when taken
          > care of. It's the best money you can spend in your printshop.
          >
          > Speed Gray, APA 736
          > Letterpress Green Sheet
          > Ada, MI

        • Scott Rubel
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
            I have a few 10X15 C&P preses and they all only have three rollers. --Scott

            londonbellman wrote:

            >One more question... For a 10x15 is it possible to print well with 3 rollers on the press
            >instead 4? The reason I ask is American printing supply sells a set of three even though
            >the press holds four. Why is this? I am guessing that three would do the trick if your are
            >not running it with an auto feeder? Is this correct or am I way off base? Thanks
            >again,London

          • Gary Mordhorst
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
              The C+P Old Series and New Series, 12 X 18 and smaller all have three rollers. All C+P Craftsman and C+P 14 1/2 X 22 have four form rollers. A press that is designed to use four rollers will not work properly with three, as the roller hooks are a pair of two on each roller arm.

              Best regards,

              Gary Mordhorst
              AccuColor Plus, Inc.
              2134 W. Division
              Chicago, IL 60622

              www.accucolor.com

              (773) 227-7788

              londonbellman wrote:

              >One more question... For a 10x15 is it possible to print well with 3 rollers on the press
              >instead 4? The reason I ask is American printing supply sells a set of three even though
              >the press holds four. Why is this? I am guessing that three would do the trick if your are
              >not running it with an auto feeder? Is this correct or am I way off base? Thanks
              >again,London

            • dredaker
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                Hello my name is Don and I am new to the discussion group and I am
                more of a machinist than a printer as I am just getting back into
                letterpress printing after thirty years . Therefore I plan to do more
                watching and learning than commenting.
                However on the subject of roller carriers, having rebuilt presses,
                there is a key way on the double hook carriers to prevent the head
                from turning and being caught between the bed and platen and not on
                the single head carriers, this would need to be addressed if a double
                head is put in instead of a single head

                Don Hildred
                The ReNonsense Man
                LaPorte Colorado
              • speedgray@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                  Don:

                  There is a keyway on the double saddle, but not on the single. If the double
                  saddle were to get twisted (if there was not a keyway) when running the
                  press with no rollers, doing diecutting for example, it could become severely
                  damaged by hitting roller ways, or other nearby parts of the press.

                  Speed Gray, APA 736
                  Ada, MI

                • london bellman
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                    Thanks to everyone for the roller help. It does have
                    four rollers on the C and P Craftsman as a few of you
                    stated. Good to know not run it with three. Thanks to
                    all .Regards,London

                    http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                  • wa0dfw@copper.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 2, 2006
                      >Is there any place that remanufactures tandem saddles that has the
                      >oscillator roller?

                      I don't know about remanufacturing the tandem roller saddles, but
                      I've posted a photo of my "pyramid" roller, which is not quite an
                      oscillator but really helps the inking on my 8 x 12.

                      You can see it at:

                      http://www.twopiglets.com/kluge/parts/

                      Click on the link for "pyramid or rider roller"

                      You can easily make a rider from any suitable excess roller this way.

                      Mo
                    • wa0dfw@copper.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 2, 2006
                        You are exactly right, Speed. Don't ask me how I know this!

                        :-(

                        Mo