Re: [PPLetterpress] Rollers...?

  • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
      I would guess that the rollers American packages in
      three is done that way because they know you need four
      and figure if they design it so that you only get
      three, you will buy the other three to complete your
      set of four adding to their profit margin.

      Food for thought.

      Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
      Southwest Finishing, Inc.
      Ft.Worth, Texas
    • speedgray@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
        Listers:

        Not all 10x15 C&Ps had four form rollers. I have a Model N from the mid-60s
        that has only three form rollers. But, even with heavy coverage and using the
        oscillators, I have never had an instance of poor ink coverage or ghosting.

        However, don't run a single roller in a tandem saddle without carefully
        checking the motion of the press by turning it over by hand through a complete
        cycle.

        I am sometimes curious as to the hesitation by printers regarding purchasing
        good rollers. Seems there is always someone trying to take some shortcuts to
        stretch the life out of rollers in poor condition. In my opinion, there is
        nothing more important to spend your letterpress money on than good rollers.
        Without smooth, even rollers on your press, you cannot do your best work. When
        the rollers get hard, cracked, pitted, or begin reverting put them in the
        trash and buy new. High quality rubber rollers will last for years when taken
        care of. It's the best money you can spend in your printshop.

        Speed Gray, APA 736
        Letterpress Green Sheet
        Ada, MI

      • parallel_imp
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Williams"
          <lwwill7999@...> wrote:

          > The 10x15 Craftsman has 4 rollers.
          [. . .]

          > I would not try to run with just 3 rollers because the saddle brackets
          > would not support the single roller properly, and might snap from
          stress in
          > the operation of the press....

          Lance, are the Craftsman rollers identical to regular C&P rollers? If
          so it should be possible to take an old bare core, put trucks on it
          and place it in the fourth position to balance the saddle.
          --Eric Holub, SF
        • Keith Berger
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
            Is there any place that remanufactures tandem saddles that has the
            oscillator roller?

            Keith

            Leaders in yesterday's technology.
            ***
            The Graphic Touch Letterpress Company
            Salem, Ohio
            800-433-1288
            On Dec 1, 2006, at 9:08 AM, speedgray@... wrote:

            > Listers:
            >
            > Not all 10x15 C&Ps had four form rollers. I have a Model N from the
            > mid-60s
            > that has only three form rollers. But, even with heavy coverage and
            > using the
            > oscillators, I have never had an instance of poor ink coverage or
            > ghosting.
            >
            > However, don't run a single roller in a tandem saddle without
            > carefully
            > checking the motion of the press by turning it over by hand through a
            > complete
            > cycle.
            >
            > I am sometimes curious as to the hesitation by printers regarding
            > purchasing
            > good rollers. Seems there is always someone trying to take some
            > shortcuts to
            > stretch the life out of rollers in poor condition. In my opinion,
            > there is
            > nothing more important to spend your letterpress money on than good
            > rollers.
            > Without smooth, even rollers on your press, you cannot do your best
            > work. When
            > the rollers get hard, cracked, pitted, or begin reverting put them in
            > the
            > trash and buy new. High quality rubber rollers will last for years
            > when taken
            > care of. It's the best money you can spend in your printshop.
            >
            > Speed Gray, APA 736
            > Letterpress Green Sheet
            > Ada, MI

          • John G. Henry
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
              Speed:

              You're right on regarding good rollers.

              If you amortize the life of the rollers, you're talking about
              pennies a day.

              I still use composition rollers for numbering on my Union Treadle
              press because the roller springs are not tight enough to overcome
              the durometer of the rubber rollers and the plunger numbering
              machines I use. No problems on my Little Giant with that, however,
              so I use rubber all the time.

              I think most of us are penny-pinchers at heart, and would rather
              spend our money on some gadget or interesting equipment than on
              rollers. For the same reason, there are a lot of houses across the
              country in need of paint or new plumbing, but contain 50" plasma
              screen TVs.

              John Henry
              Cedar Creek Press

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, speedgray@... wrote:

              > I am sometimes curious as to the hesitation by printers regarding
              purchasing
              > good rollers. Seems there is always someone trying to take some
              shortcuts to
              > stretch the life out of rollers in poor condition. In my opinion,
              there is
              > nothing more important to spend your letterpress money on than
              good rollers.
              > Without smooth, even rollers on your press, you cannot do your
              best work. When
              > the rollers get hard, cracked, pitted, or begin reverting put them
              in the
              > trash and buy new. High quality rubber rollers will last for years
              when taken
              > care of. It's the best money you can spend in your printshop.
              >
              > Speed Gray, APA 736
              > Letterpress Green Sheet
              > Ada, MI

            • Scott Rubel
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                I have a few 10X15 C&P preses and they all only have three rollers. --Scott

                londonbellman wrote:

                >One more question... For a 10x15 is it possible to print well with 3 rollers on the press
                >instead 4? The reason I ask is American printing supply sells a set of three even though
                >the press holds four. Why is this? I am guessing that three would do the trick if your are
                >not running it with an auto feeder? Is this correct or am I way off base? Thanks
                >again,London

              • Gary Mordhorst
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                  The C+P Old Series and New Series, 12 X 18 and smaller all have three rollers. All C+P Craftsman and C+P 14 1/2 X 22 have four form rollers. A press that is designed to use four rollers will not work properly with three, as the roller hooks are a pair of two on each roller arm.

                  Best regards,

                  Gary Mordhorst
                  AccuColor Plus, Inc.
                  2134 W. Division
                  Chicago, IL 60622

                  www.accucolor.com

                  (773) 227-7788

                  londonbellman wrote:

                  >One more question... For a 10x15 is it possible to print well with 3 rollers on the press
                  >instead 4? The reason I ask is American printing supply sells a set of three even though
                  >the press holds four. Why is this? I am guessing that three would do the trick if your are
                  >not running it with an auto feeder? Is this correct or am I way off base? Thanks
                  >again,London

                • dredaker
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                    Hello my name is Don and I am new to the discussion group and I am
                    more of a machinist than a printer as I am just getting back into
                    letterpress printing after thirty years . Therefore I plan to do more
                    watching and learning than commenting.
                    However on the subject of roller carriers, having rebuilt presses,
                    there is a key way on the double hook carriers to prevent the head
                    from turning and being caught between the bed and platen and not on
                    the single head carriers, this would need to be addressed if a double
                    head is put in instead of a single head

                    Don Hildred
                    The ReNonsense Man
                    LaPorte Colorado
                  • speedgray@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                      Don:

                      There is a keyway on the double saddle, but not on the single. If the double
                      saddle were to get twisted (if there was not a keyway) when running the
                      press with no rollers, doing diecutting for example, it could become severely
                      damaged by hitting roller ways, or other nearby parts of the press.

                      Speed Gray, APA 736
                      Ada, MI

                    • london bellman
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                        Thanks to everyone for the roller help. It does have
                        four rollers on the C and P Craftsman as a few of you
                        stated. Good to know not run it with three. Thanks to
                        all .Regards,London

                        http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                      • wa0dfw@copper.net
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 2, 2006
                          >Is there any place that remanufactures tandem saddles that has the
                          >oscillator roller?

                          I don't know about remanufacturing the tandem roller saddles, but
                          I've posted a photo of my "pyramid" roller, which is not quite an
                          oscillator but really helps the inking on my 8 x 12.

                          You can see it at:

                          http://www.twopiglets.com/kluge/parts/

                          Click on the link for "pyramid or rider roller"

                          You can easily make a rider from any suitable excess roller this way.

                          Mo
                        • wa0dfw@copper.net
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 2, 2006
                            You are exactly right, Speed. Don't ask me how I know this!

                            :-(

                            Mo