Sem Hartz & the Making of Linotype Juliana: Now Available!

  • inferno_press
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2006
      Inferno Press is please to announce -- after two years' work -- the
      publication of Sem Hartz and the Making of Linotype Juliana. This is the
      first book dealing exclusively with the design and development of one of
      the most elegant -- and overlooked -- typefaces of the twentieth
      century.

      Frustrated by the dearth of information about Hartz in English, Inferno
      Press commissioned Mathieu Lommen, a curator at the Special
      CollectionsDepartment at the Amsterdam University Library and friend of
      Hartz, to write the story of the design of Linotype Juliana. Lommen's
      text has been laser-printed on archival paper using a newly digitized
      version of Juliana. In fact, this will be the inaugural appearance of
      this font. Photographic reproductions of Hartz's early drawings for
      Juliana aretipped in, and the cover is letterpress-printed on a Nepalese
      Lotka paper (various colours). 8 1/4 by 5 inches. 15 pages. 100 copies.
      Stiched into soft covers. Price C$40. North American orders add
      C$5/copy. Elsewhere add $7/copy. Dealer discounts available. For more
      information, and an image of the cover, please visit Inferno Press's
      website <http://infernopress.blogspot.com/> .

      Books may be ordered directly from the Press by email
      <mailto:inferno_press@...> or by calling 604 731 6365. We accept
      payment from bank-account-funded PayPal <https://www.paypal.com/>
      accounts, international money orders or (in Canada) personal cheques.
      Cheques must be made out to Paul Razzell.

      Our address is

      INFERNO PRESS
      1857 West 4th Avenue, No. 227
      Vancouver, B.C., V6J 1M4
      Canada

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2006
        Paul and all

        I received my copy today. Quite nice. Format is great. I've a fondness
        for the monograph style. Glad to have it. Congrats.

        ps: Any word on when the typeface when be made available? Or is it
        already?