Gripper pressure on Vandercook Universal l

  • Thomas Krakowiak
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 9, 2006
      I have a problem with the gripper pressure on our Vandercook Universal I. I have taken this assembly apart and put it back together but could not see anything that could be done to remedy the situation.
      The grippers hold the paper so tight that they leave a semi circular impression on the edge of the sheet. The only solution so far is to allow for this in the placement of the text block on the press bed and trimming this portion off when the printing is complete. Any suggestions ? Thanks. TSK

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2006
        TSK

        When you originally sent this I assumed that there was some incorrect
        reassemble that may have increased the tension on the springs? I
        suspect a "temporary" fix might be to adhere a long thin length of
        paper or plastic to the forward edge of the gripper bar so that the
        grippers are pulled a bit back on their pressure? I'm guessing.

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Krakowiak <tkrakowi@...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2006
          TSK

          On second or third thought, or whatever, I am wondering what kind of
          substrate you are using? Is it a cushioning paper formulated, or
          suitable, for deep impression? which may inadvertently show the
          consequences of the gripper pressure? Also, my Vandercook's cylinder
          bearings are adjusted for the full length of the bed which means I
          cannot print with any kind of assured success within the top 1-3/8
          inches of the sheet. I'm generally trimming some of the top edge of
          the sheet off after printing. I assume that in most commercial
          printing, some allowance is made in imposition for this, so I just
          accept it as a natural course of events.

          Not sure that this solves your problem. Just thinking of work arounds.

          > TSK
          >
          > When you originally sent this I assumed that there was some incorrect
          > reassemble that may have increased the tension on the springs? I
          > suspect a "temporary" fix might be to adhere a long thin length of
          > paper or plastic to the forward edge of the gripper bar so that the
          > grippers are pulled a bit back on their pressure? I'm guessing.
          >
          > Gerald
          > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
          >
          > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Krakowiak <tkrakowi@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a problem with the gripper pressure on our Vandercook
          > Universal I. I have taken this assembly apart and put it back
          > together but could not see anything that could be done to remedy the
          > situation.
          > > The grippers hold the paper so tight that they leave a semi
          > circular impression on the edge of the sheet. The only solution so far
          > is to allow for this in the placement of the text block on the press
          > bed and trimming this portion off when the printing is complete. Any
          > suggestions ? Thanks. TSK

        • nagraph1
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 9, 2006
            There are two styles of grippers used on the Universal 1. The first
            production models used the same grippers and actuating mechanism as
            the #4 machine. About 3 years into production, around 1962, the
            entire gripper assembly was completely changed, so a description of
            what's inside the cylinder may be of some assistance.

            In either case, the gripper is held in the closed position by spring
            pressure, pulling the gripper head down into the gripper bar, and it
            may be as simple as reseting the two hex head nuts that hold the
            spring in place so there is not as much pressure. In taking these
            out, note that there is a small set screw in the gripper bar that
            holds these in place and there is a correesponding indention in the
            sleeve of the gripper to hold them in place. Absolutely do not try
            to remove with out backing the set screw off a number of turns, and
            likewise, thighten carefully until snug, and no further. The set
            screw can actually deform the sleeve and bind up the the shaft of
            the gripper head to render the unit unusable.

            Check the bottom edge of the gripper head, the part that comes in
            contact with the paper. and make sure it is smooth and clean--can't
            do this with the gripper pins in the machine. Vandercook would often
            roughen up this bottom edge to insure a better grip when requested
            by the customer--for printing on very smooth stock, like decal
            paper, and other specialty papers, or very thin paper.

            Fritz

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@...>
            wrote:

            > TSK
            >
            > On second or third thought, or whatever, I am wondering what kind
            of
            > substrate you are using? Is it a cushioning paper formulated, or
            > suitable, for deep impression? which may inadvertently show the
            > consequences of the gripper pressure? Also, my Vandercook's
            cylinder
            > bearings are adjusted for the full length of the bed which means I
            > cannot print with any kind of assured success within the top 1-3/8
            > inches of the sheet. I'm generally trimming some of the top edge of
            > the sheet off after printing. I assume that in most commercial
            > printing, some allowance is made in imposition for this, so I just
            > accept it as a natural course of events.
            >
            > Not sure that this solves your problem. Just thinking of work
            arounds.

            > Gerald
            > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
            >

            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@>
            wrote:

            > > TSK
            > >
            > > When you originally sent this I assumed that there was some
            incorrect
            > > reassemble that may have increased the tension on the springs? I
            > > suspect a "temporary" fix might be to adhere a long thin length
            of
            > > paper or plastic to the forward edge of the gripper bar so that
            the
            > > grippers are pulled a bit back on their pressure? I'm guessing.
            > >
            > > Gerald
            > > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
            > >
            > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Krakowiak
            <tkrakowi@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I have a problem with the gripper pressure on our Vandercook
            > > Universal I. I have taken this assembly apart and put it back
            > > together but could not see anything that could be done to remedy
            the
            > > situation.
            > > > The grippers hold the paper so tight that they leave a semi
            > > circular impression on the edge of the sheet. The only solution
            so far
            > > is to allow for this in the placement of the text block on the
            press
            > > bed and trimming this portion off when the printing is complete.
            Any
            > > suggestions ? Thanks. TSK

          • Mark Attwood
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 10, 2006
              You might also try little half-discs of paper stuck to the underside
              of the gripper with double sided tape, just to soften the hard "bite"
              of the grippers.

              Mark Attwood
              mark@...
              www.artprintsa.com

              On 10 Nov 2006, at 07:22, Gerald Lange wrote:

              > TSK
              >
              > When you originally sent this I assumed that there was some incorrect
              > reassemble that may have increased the tension on the springs? I
              > suspect a "temporary" fix might be to adhere a long thin length of
              > paper or plastic to the forward edge of the gripper bar so that the
              > grippers are pulled a bit back on their pressure? I'm guessing.
              >
              > Gerald
              > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
              >
              > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Krakowiak <tkrakowi@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I have a problem with the gripper pressure on our Vandercook
              > Universal I. I have taken this assembly apart and put it back
              > together but could not see anything that could be done to remedy the
              > situation.
              > > The grippers hold the paper so tight that they leave a semi
              > circular impression on the edge of the sheet. The only solution so far
              > is to allow for this in the placement of the text block on the press
              > bed and trimming this portion off when the printing is complete. Any
              > suggestions ? Thanks. TSK

            • John G. Henry
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 10, 2006
                If you are not using highly compressible stock, I wonder if your
                packing is correct? I have seen presses packed so heavily that the
                gripper bar was lower than the outer surface of the packing. That
                would tend to depress the paper at the edge of the packing and would
                lead to a dimple being formed from the gripper bite.

                Another way to deal with too much gripper pressure if you are printing
                on a variety of types of paper, woould be to put a shim under the
                forward edge of the gripper head (away from the paper being gripped).
                This could be adjusted so that there is still sufficient hold of the
                sheet being printed, but would not allow the gripper to lower as far
                toward the gripper bar. This would allow you to remove the shim when
                printing on thinner or non-compressible papers without internal
                mechanical adjustments. Since each gripper is spring-loaded, you would
                have to place this shim under each position which contacts the paper.
                The shims could be taped in place, or one could use polyester self-
                adhesive tape.
              • v918man
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 10, 2006
                  I share John Henry's suspicion that the cylinder may be over-packed. That would make the
                  paper lay higher than the gripper bar causing the top edge of the sheet to bend
                  downward.

                  If the semi circles looks more like a "C" with two distinct edges the marks are caused by
                  the copper paper guides instead of the gripper pins.

                  If you packing can not be reduced, then the problem may be solved by using broken paper
                  guides with one or two short projectsion (arms if you will) or by removing them all
                  together.

                  Paul Moxon
                  http://vandercookpress.info/