Re: What to do in London

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 2006
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "inferno_press"
      <inferno_press@...> wrote:

      > I will be visiting London from December 6 through 19 and would like to
      > indulge my interest in fine printing while I'm there. In addition to
      > St Bride's, Purcell's, and the Monotype Museum [...]

      The Monotype Museum is reported to be closed. There is a Google group
      with some information (and speculation) but no recent activity:
      <http://groups.google.com/group/TypeMuseumSociety>
    • Jessica Spring
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 2006
        I'd highly recommend taking a train trip to Oldham to see Incline Press, if
        they have time for a visitor. Their work is amazing.
        http://www.inclinepress.com/index.html

        Collinge and Clark sells fine press books in London. Spend some time and
        they'll take out the good stuff.
        --Jessica

        Jessica Spring
        SPRINGTIDE PRESS
        http://www.springtidepress.com
        253.627.8629

        > From: "inferno_press" <inferno_press@...>
        > Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 22:59:23 -0000
        > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [PPLetterpress] What to do in London
        >
        > I will be visiting London from December 6 through 19 and would like to
        > indulge my interest in fine printing while I'm there. In addition to
        > St Bride's, Purcell's, and the Monotype Museum, what other high points
        > can you recommend? I would like to visit some fine press and
        > antiquarian book dealers as well. What do you suggest? Which are the
        > must-visit rare, fine press, and antiquarian dealers? Does anyone know
        > of any bibliographic exhibits happening at this time?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David Goodrich
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
          There is a small printing museum at the Oxford University Press in Oxford.
          It contains such things as the matrices for the Fell types and several
          presses. It is quite unknown and is located off the OUP library.
          David

        • Michael Barnes
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
            Too bad it is small and unknown. In the 1950s, when Harry Duncan
            worked there, something grander was envisaged. Some info on his
            activities there is contained in the new biography and bibliography
            on Harry:

            Harry Carter: Typographer

            published by the Old School Press.