What to do in London

  • inferno_press
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 2006
      I will be visiting London from December 6 through 19 and would like to
      indulge my interest in fine printing while I'm there. In addition to
      St Bride's, Purcell's, and the Monotype Museum, what other high points
      can you recommend? I would like to visit some fine press and
      antiquarian book dealers as well. What do you suggest? Which are the
      must-visit rare, fine press, and antiquarian dealers? Does anyone know
      of any bibliographic exhibits happening at this time?

      Thanks!
    • parallel_imp
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 2006
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "inferno_press"
        <inferno_press@...> wrote:

        > I will be visiting London from December 6 through 19 and would like to
        > indulge my interest in fine printing while I'm there. In addition to
        > St Bride's, Purcell's, and the Monotype Museum [...]

        The Monotype Museum is reported to be closed. There is a Google group
        with some information (and speculation) but no recent activity:
        <http://groups.google.com/group/TypeMuseumSociety>
      • Jessica Spring
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2006
          I'd highly recommend taking a train trip to Oldham to see Incline Press, if
          they have time for a visitor. Their work is amazing.
          http://www.inclinepress.com/index.html

          Collinge and Clark sells fine press books in London. Spend some time and
          they'll take out the good stuff.
          --Jessica

          Jessica Spring
          SPRINGTIDE PRESS
          http://www.springtidepress.com
          253.627.8629

          > From: "inferno_press" <inferno_press@...>
          > Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 22:59:23 -0000
          > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [PPLetterpress] What to do in London
          >
          > I will be visiting London from December 6 through 19 and would like to
          > indulge my interest in fine printing while I'm there. In addition to
          > St Bride's, Purcell's, and the Monotype Museum, what other high points
          > can you recommend? I would like to visit some fine press and
          > antiquarian book dealers as well. What do you suggest? Which are the
          > must-visit rare, fine press, and antiquarian dealers? Does anyone know
          > of any bibliographic exhibits happening at this time?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • David Goodrich
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
            There is a small printing museum at the Oxford University Press in Oxford.
            It contains such things as the matrices for the Fell types and several
            presses. It is quite unknown and is located off the OUP library.
            David

          • Michael Barnes
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
              Too bad it is small and unknown. In the 1950s, when Harry Duncan
              worked there, something grander was envisaged. Some info on his
              activities there is contained in the new biography and bibliography
              on Harry:

              Harry Carter: Typographer

              published by the Old School Press.