Hand Operated Cylinder Press

  • ausart1938
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2006
      At the Gulgong Museum we have a Ronai Proof press, it was designed to
      take Miehle Vertical formes and has the Miehle type grippers.
      This machine is in poor condition with some parts missing, I have
      heard of one being used in Sydney and hope to look at it before we
      start re-storing. This is of interest here as it was made in Australia
      (not much printing gear was made here). Our new display area has the
      newer presses, Hiedelberg Platen and Miehle Vertical. Next area is
      1800's with our Albion, C&P 8x12 OS, Furnival 10x15, Wharfedale
      Cylinder press and a 12x18 C&P. Next is our composing room with Ludlow
      and Elrod plus hand set, galley racks of spacing and blocks plus all
      other comp gear. next is probably the only battery of Linecasters in
      Australia, 2 Intertypes and 4 Linotypes, then we have a area that we
      can use for school groups with a 5x8 C&P, Adana and a simple proof
      press. A lot of work to sort out all the bits and pieces but we are
      getting there. Arthur in Australia.
    • parallel_imp
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2006
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "ausart1938" <ausart1938@...> wrote:

        > At the Gulgong Museum we have a Ronai Proof press, it was designed to
        > take Miehle Vertical formes and has the Miehle type grippers.
        > This machine is in poor condition with some parts missing, I have
        > heard of one being used in Sydney and hope to look at it before we
        > start re-storing. This is of interest here as it was made in Australia
        > (not much printing gear was made here).

        Arthur, that sounds interesting. Do you have photos posted anywhere,
        particularly the Ronai? A quick websearch showed some references to
        the Museum, a little about the printing section, but no images.
        --Eric Holub, SF