Re: loose ink

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 3, 2006
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, alex brooks <alex@...> wrote:

      > Recently i've switched from van son rubber base (which i was taught
      > with and have used by default) to litho inks.
      [ . . . ]
      > I'd try some cheap daniel smith litho ink first. also don't try this
      > for hand inking or on a platen press.

      It'd help to be more precise in describing inks, since "litho ink"
      describes most ink that is made. All the Van Son inks (oil, rubber,
      acrylic) are litho inks, intended for use on rotary offset
      lithographic presses, but also suitable for letterpress work.
      By "litho ink" do you mean ink intended for lithographic
      printmaking, formulated for hand-rolling of litho stone or metal
      plate? The Dan Smith litho inks would fall into that category.
    • alex brooks
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 3, 2006

        >> It'd help to be more precise in describing inks, since "litho ink"
        >> describes most ink that is made. All the Van Son inks (oil, rubber,
        >> acrylic) are litho inks, intended for use on rotary offset
        >> lithographic presses, but also suitable for letterpress work.
        >> By "litho ink" do you mean ink intended for lithographic
        >> printmaking, formulated for hand-rolling of litho stone or metal
        >> plate? The Dan Smith litho inks would fall into that category.
        sorry- yes I meant printmaking ink for plate and stone lithography,
        not offset ink. In printmaking catalogs like Graphic Chemical they
        are know as litho inks as opposed to relief printing or etching inks.
        They are very stiff unlike Van Son which, depending upon the color,
        can be almost soupy.
        -alex
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006
          Alex

          If you ever come across any of the Sinclair-Valentine "Stone" inks,
          buy em. The colors are great, especially the reds; never found a
          black. As I recall, crapola Flint Ink bought them out and with typical
          corporate efficiency wiped them off the face of the earth, formulas
          and all.

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, alex brooks <alex@...> wrote:

          > >> It'd help to be more precise in describing inks, since "litho ink"
          > >> describes most ink that is made. All the Van Son inks (oil, rubber,
          > >> acrylic) are litho inks, intended for use on rotary offset
          > >> lithographic presses, but also suitable for letterpress work.
          > >> By "litho ink" do you mean ink intended for lithographic
          > >> printmaking, formulated for hand-rolling of litho stone or metal
          > >> plate? The Dan Smith litho inks would fall into that category.
          > sorry- yes I meant printmaking ink for plate and stone lithography,
          > not offset ink. In printmaking catalogs like Graphic Chemical they
          > are know as litho inks as opposed to relief printing or etching inks.
          > They are very stiff unlike Van Son which, depending upon the color,
          > can be almost soupy.
          > -alex

        • Chad Pastotnik
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
            All (or almost all) our holiday printing is done this year, here is
            some of the stuff:

            The 2007 calendars are done and make great gifts. Printed in four
            colors on Frankfurt paper and includes moon phases, 5 3/4 x 5 1/4
            inches.
            http://deepwoodpress.com/calendar.html

            Christmas cards: 19 different designs and a coaster for Santa.
            http://deepwoodpress.com/holcards.html

            New Art Nouveau dragonfly journals/blank books
            http://deepwoodpress.com/journals.html

            Chad

            Chad Pastotnik
            Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506