Re: loose ink

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
      Bethany

      Magnesium carbonate is a very stable chemical buffer, thus it has a
      great many different industrial, and other, purposes and uses (rock
      climbers rub it on their hands etc), so I would recommend that you buy
      it from a printmaking supply house in a formulation properly milled
      for use in ink.

      If you are using a Vandercook the ink should be much stiffer than you
      might want for a platen press. All the additive will do is increase
      the viscosity of the ink (its resistance to flow). You can add too
      much. Add it in small amounts until the ink slumps (like butter)
      rather than puddles. When properly configured the ink should just hold
      a shape. Carve a form into the ink on the slab, if it holds that
      shape, you are there.

      > Thanks everyone! I just got new rollers for my press and raised them
      > quite a bit but am still getting a little ink squeeze on my prints and
      > I thought I would try to stiffen the ink some and maybe that would
      > help. I use Van Son oil based inks, and while we're on the subject, is
      > there a recommended amount of how much Mag. Carbonate to add to the
      > ink? Or is it basically just trial and error until you get it right?
      > Should the ink then be really stiff or should it still be pretty
      > workable on the slab? Thanks for all the advice!!
      >
      > Bethany Carter Kneff
      > ThistleBerry Press

    • alex brooks
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
        Recently i've switched from van son rubber base (which i was taught
        with and have used by default) to litho inks. I love them. Perfect
        for auto inking on the vandercook, especially for woodcuts /
        woodengravings. I just did a set of editions for a local artist -
        woodcuts and engravings, and he wanted me to use some litho ink with
        charbonnel mixed in- amazing for fine lines with no ink squeeze. $30/
        lb but the end result is worth it.

        I'd try some cheap daniel smith litho ink first. also don't try this
        for hand inking or on a platen press.
        -alex
        press eight seventeen
        lexington kentucky

        > > Thanks everyone! I just got new rollers for my press and raised them
        > > quite a bit but am still getting a little ink squeeze on my
        > prints and
        > > I thought I would try to stiffen the ink some and maybe that would
        > > help. I use Van Son oil based inks, and while we're on the
        > subject, is
        > > there a recommended amount of how much Mag. Carbonate to add to the
        > > ink? Or is it basically just trial and error until you get it right?
        > > Should the ink then be really stiff or should it still be pretty
        > > workable on the slab? Thanks for all the advice!!
        > >
        > > Bethany Carter Kneff
        > > ThistleBerry Press

      • parallel_imp
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 3, 2006
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, alex brooks <alex@...> wrote:

          > Recently i've switched from van son rubber base (which i was taught
          > with and have used by default) to litho inks.
          [ . . . ]
          > I'd try some cheap daniel smith litho ink first. also don't try this
          > for hand inking or on a platen press.

          It'd help to be more precise in describing inks, since "litho ink"
          describes most ink that is made. All the Van Son inks (oil, rubber,
          acrylic) are litho inks, intended for use on rotary offset
          lithographic presses, but also suitable for letterpress work.
          By "litho ink" do you mean ink intended for lithographic
          printmaking, formulated for hand-rolling of litho stone or metal
          plate? The Dan Smith litho inks would fall into that category.
        • alex brooks
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 3, 2006

            >> It'd help to be more precise in describing inks, since "litho ink"
            >> describes most ink that is made. All the Van Son inks (oil, rubber,
            >> acrylic) are litho inks, intended for use on rotary offset
            >> lithographic presses, but also suitable for letterpress work.
            >> By "litho ink" do you mean ink intended for lithographic
            >> printmaking, formulated for hand-rolling of litho stone or metal
            >> plate? The Dan Smith litho inks would fall into that category.
            sorry- yes I meant printmaking ink for plate and stone lithography,
            not offset ink. In printmaking catalogs like Graphic Chemical they
            are know as litho inks as opposed to relief printing or etching inks.
            They are very stiff unlike Van Son which, depending upon the color,
            can be almost soupy.
            -alex
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006
              Alex

              If you ever come across any of the Sinclair-Valentine "Stone" inks,
              buy em. The colors are great, especially the reds; never found a
              black. As I recall, crapola Flint Ink bought them out and with typical
              corporate efficiency wiped them off the face of the earth, formulas
              and all.

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, alex brooks <alex@...> wrote:

              > >> It'd help to be more precise in describing inks, since "litho ink"
              > >> describes most ink that is made. All the Van Son inks (oil, rubber,
              > >> acrylic) are litho inks, intended for use on rotary offset
              > >> lithographic presses, but also suitable for letterpress work.
              > >> By "litho ink" do you mean ink intended for lithographic
              > >> printmaking, formulated for hand-rolling of litho stone or metal
              > >> plate? The Dan Smith litho inks would fall into that category.
              > sorry- yes I meant printmaking ink for plate and stone lithography,
              > not offset ink. In printmaking catalogs like Graphic Chemical they
              > are know as litho inks as opposed to relief printing or etching inks.
              > They are very stiff unlike Van Son which, depending upon the color,
              > can be almost soupy.
              > -alex

            • Chad Pastotnik
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
                All (or almost all) our holiday printing is done this year, here is
                some of the stuff:

                The 2007 calendars are done and make great gifts. Printed in four
                colors on Frankfurt paper and includes moon phases, 5 3/4 x 5 1/4
                inches.
                http://deepwoodpress.com/calendar.html

                Christmas cards: 19 different designs and a coaster for Santa.
                http://deepwoodpress.com/holcards.html

                New Art Nouveau dragonfly journals/blank books
                http://deepwoodpress.com/journals.html

                Chad

                Chad Pastotnik
                Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506