Re: [PPLetterpress] loose ink

  • Mike Jacobs
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 1998
      Really ????????????

      How about Magnesia !!!!!!!!!!!!!

      That translates as Magnesium Carbonate Levi

      Mike Willshire Jacobs at the Cockleshell Press, England

    • Tim Benas
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
        Good old body gum available from any graphic supply house will stiffen up
        soupy ink.
      • thistleberry_press
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
          Thanks everyone! I just got new rollers for my press and raised them
          quite a bit but am still getting a little ink squeeze on my prints and
          I thought I would try to stiffen the ink some and maybe that would
          help. I use Van Son oil based inks, and while we're on the subject, is
          there a recommended amount of how much Mag. Carbonate to add to the
          ink? Or is it basically just trial and error until you get it right?
          Should the ink then be really stiff or should it still be pretty
          workable on the slab? Thanks for all the advice!!

          Bethany Carter Kneff
          ThistleBerry Press
        • enkidu@hetnet.nl
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
            > Thanks everyone! I just got new rollers for my press and raised them
            > quite a bit but am still getting a little ink squeeze on my prints and
            > I thought I would try to stiffen the ink some and maybe that would
            > help. I use Van Son oil based inks, and while we're on the subject, is
            > there a recommended amount of how much Mag. Carbonate to add to the
            > ink? Or is it basically just trial and error until you get it right?
            > Should the ink then be really stiff or should it still be pretty
            > workable on the slab? Thanks for all the advice!!
            >
            > Bethany Carter Kneff
            > ThistleBerry Press

            Dear Bethany,

            You should not have all this trouble with Van Sons's oil based ink.

            Are you sure your rolls are at the desired height ? There are some
            rolls at typeheight that can be placed under the inked roll. With this
            you can assure the rolls to ink the type all with the same pressure. If this
            is not the case, you never get an even print.

            two of these little typeheight cylinders placed on both sides of the bed
            give you the possibility to adjust your rolls very accurate. Provided the rolls
            are perfect cylinders too.

            after testing the cylnders will have a strip of ink on top, 1.5 mm wide evrywhere
            on the press will insure you even inking at all places.

            are there none of these testing cylinders available in the USA ?

            here a link forgive me the dutch language, the picture is enough I guess.

            http://www.drukwerkindemarge.com/techniek/inktrollen_stellen.html

            Making the ink stiffer, will probably make an other addition to your troubles.

            best wishes

            John Cornelisse

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
              Bethany

              Magnesium carbonate is a very stable chemical buffer, thus it has a
              great many different industrial, and other, purposes and uses (rock
              climbers rub it on their hands etc), so I would recommend that you buy
              it from a printmaking supply house in a formulation properly milled
              for use in ink.

              If you are using a Vandercook the ink should be much stiffer than you
              might want for a platen press. All the additive will do is increase
              the viscosity of the ink (its resistance to flow). You can add too
              much. Add it in small amounts until the ink slumps (like butter)
              rather than puddles. When properly configured the ink should just hold
              a shape. Carve a form into the ink on the slab, if it holds that
              shape, you are there.

              > Thanks everyone! I just got new rollers for my press and raised them
              > quite a bit but am still getting a little ink squeeze on my prints and
              > I thought I would try to stiffen the ink some and maybe that would
              > help. I use Van Son oil based inks, and while we're on the subject, is
              > there a recommended amount of how much Mag. Carbonate to add to the
              > ink? Or is it basically just trial and error until you get it right?
              > Should the ink then be really stiff or should it still be pretty
              > workable on the slab? Thanks for all the advice!!
              >
              > Bethany Carter Kneff
              > ThistleBerry Press

            • alex brooks
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
                Recently i've switched from van son rubber base (which i was taught
                with and have used by default) to litho inks. I love them. Perfect
                for auto inking on the vandercook, especially for woodcuts /
                woodengravings. I just did a set of editions for a local artist -
                woodcuts and engravings, and he wanted me to use some litho ink with
                charbonnel mixed in- amazing for fine lines with no ink squeeze. $30/
                lb but the end result is worth it.

                I'd try some cheap daniel smith litho ink first. also don't try this
                for hand inking or on a platen press.
                -alex
                press eight seventeen
                lexington kentucky

                > > Thanks everyone! I just got new rollers for my press and raised them
                > > quite a bit but am still getting a little ink squeeze on my
                > prints and
                > > I thought I would try to stiffen the ink some and maybe that would
                > > help. I use Van Son oil based inks, and while we're on the
                > subject, is
                > > there a recommended amount of how much Mag. Carbonate to add to the
                > > ink? Or is it basically just trial and error until you get it right?
                > > Should the ink then be really stiff or should it still be pretty
                > > workable on the slab? Thanks for all the advice!!
                > >
                > > Bethany Carter Kneff
                > > ThistleBerry Press

              • parallel_imp
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 3, 2006
                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, alex brooks <alex@...> wrote:

                  > Recently i've switched from van son rubber base (which i was taught
                  > with and have used by default) to litho inks.
                  [ . . . ]
                  > I'd try some cheap daniel smith litho ink first. also don't try this
                  > for hand inking or on a platen press.

                  It'd help to be more precise in describing inks, since "litho ink"
                  describes most ink that is made. All the Van Son inks (oil, rubber,
                  acrylic) are litho inks, intended for use on rotary offset
                  lithographic presses, but also suitable for letterpress work.
                  By "litho ink" do you mean ink intended for lithographic
                  printmaking, formulated for hand-rolling of litho stone or metal
                  plate? The Dan Smith litho inks would fall into that category.
                • alex brooks
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 3, 2006

                    >> It'd help to be more precise in describing inks, since "litho ink"
                    >> describes most ink that is made. All the Van Son inks (oil, rubber,
                    >> acrylic) are litho inks, intended for use on rotary offset
                    >> lithographic presses, but also suitable for letterpress work.
                    >> By "litho ink" do you mean ink intended for lithographic
                    >> printmaking, formulated for hand-rolling of litho stone or metal
                    >> plate? The Dan Smith litho inks would fall into that category.
                    sorry- yes I meant printmaking ink for plate and stone lithography,
                    not offset ink. In printmaking catalogs like Graphic Chemical they
                    are know as litho inks as opposed to relief printing or etching inks.
                    They are very stiff unlike Van Son which, depending upon the color,
                    can be almost soupy.
                    -alex
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006
                      Alex

                      If you ever come across any of the Sinclair-Valentine "Stone" inks,
                      buy em. The colors are great, especially the reds; never found a
                      black. As I recall, crapola Flint Ink bought them out and with typical
                      corporate efficiency wiped them off the face of the earth, formulas
                      and all.

                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, alex brooks <alex@...> wrote:

                      > >> It'd help to be more precise in describing inks, since "litho ink"
                      > >> describes most ink that is made. All the Van Son inks (oil, rubber,
                      > >> acrylic) are litho inks, intended for use on rotary offset
                      > >> lithographic presses, but also suitable for letterpress work.
                      > >> By "litho ink" do you mean ink intended for lithographic
                      > >> printmaking, formulated for hand-rolling of litho stone or metal
                      > >> plate? The Dan Smith litho inks would fall into that category.
                      > sorry- yes I meant printmaking ink for plate and stone lithography,
                      > not offset ink. In printmaking catalogs like Graphic Chemical they
                      > are know as litho inks as opposed to relief printing or etching inks.
                      > They are very stiff unlike Van Son which, depending upon the color,
                      > can be almost soupy.
                      > -alex

                    • Chad Pastotnik
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
                        All (or almost all) our holiday printing is done this year, here is
                        some of the stuff:

                        The 2007 calendars are done and make great gifts. Printed in four
                        colors on Frankfurt paper and includes moon phases, 5 3/4 x 5 1/4
                        inches.
                        http://deepwoodpress.com/calendar.html

                        Christmas cards: 19 different designs and a coaster for Santa.
                        http://deepwoodpress.com/holcards.html

                        New Art Nouveau dragonfly journals/blank books
                        http://deepwoodpress.com/journals.html

                        Chad

                        Chad Pastotnik
                        Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506