Re: Reissue effects on second hand market

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2006
      Matt

      I had not seen _General Printing_ hit anywhere near the prices you
      indicate. Nevertheless, while I think your re-issue is a good thing
      and sorely needed, and I do encourage any kind of publishing effort, I
      think you might be in error about the antiquarian value of original
      editions. Like the "Vandercook," this particular book has had an over
      inflated value due to web-related market manipulation (er, promotional
      activities).

      But, while you may be able to alleviate pricing in the short term, in
      the long term the original, or the rarer, or the better, or the
      unique, will always command the higher price. And, in the long term,
      your publishing strategy will likely result in the increase in the
      value of previous editions rather than the other way around.