Re: [PPLetterpress] Reissue effects on second hand market

  • typetom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
      Congrats, Matt, on reissuing Cleeton & Pitkin's General Printing!
      It definitely has the best close-up photos for hand-setting metal type. The
      price for used copies may have been inflated because of the many I bought to
      loan or give to beginning printers! I'm glad to hear it is available.
      Best wishes,
      Tom

      Tom Parson
      Now It's Up To You Publications
      157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
      (303) 777-8951
      http://members.aol.com/typetom

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2006
        Matt

        I had not seen _General Printing_ hit anywhere near the prices you
        indicate. Nevertheless, while I think your re-issue is a good thing
        and sorely needed, and I do encourage any kind of publishing effort, I
        think you might be in error about the antiquarian value of original
        editions. Like the "Vandercook," this particular book has had an over
        inflated value due to web-related market manipulation (er, promotional
        activities).

        But, while you may be able to alleviate pricing in the short term, in
        the long term the original, or the rarer, or the better, or the
        unique, will always command the higher price. And, in the long term,
        your publishing strategy will likely result in the increase in the
        value of previous editions rather than the other way around.