this time it's about rust

  • piecemeal.press
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
      I posted earlier about what inks to use, but i thought of the all
      important question i have been battling and i can't seem to find any
      answers online. I would love some advice.

      How do I get surface rust/grime off of my pilot press? oil? mineral
      spirits? i didn't want to just assault it with chemicals.

      any advice would be very welcome. thanks!

      -chelsea

      p.s. are there any of you who are near eugene, or? just curious...
    • Scott Rubel
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
        Naval jelly. That's all I know, and it works for rust. When the rust
        is gone, just wipe with oil or spray lightly with WD40 to keep the
        rust away.

        All machine type surfaces should be oiled at all times.

        --Scottford
        On Oct 30, 2006, at 5:06 PM, piecemeal.press wrote:

        > I posted earlier about what inks to use, but i thought of the all
        > important question i have been battling and i can't seem to find any
        > answers online. I would love some advice.
        >
        > How do I get surface rust/grime off of my pilot press? oil? mineral
        > spirits? i didn't want to just assault it with chemicals.
        >
        > any advice would be very welcome. thanks!
        >
        > -chelsea
        >
        > p.s. are there any of you who are near eugene, or? just curious...
      • Julie Larson

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2006
            This stuff looks good. I haven't used it, but it's been mentioned here before.

            http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html

            While the preferred method is to immerse rusted parts completely in
            the solution, there are also examples shown of using it brushed on
            (as it would take a large amount to dunk a Vandercook ;-)

            Best

            Peter

            Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com