Oiling the rails on the Vandercook

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2006
      Several have suggested oiling the rails, and I've seen others do the
      same. But that isn't the best practice. Any bearing wheel is meant to
      turn, and if you oil the bearing surface, the wheels can slide rather
      than turn, and eventually you could get a flat spot. (Look at any
      neglected C&P and the wheels for ink-dog, grippers, and rocker arm may
      all have flat spots from oiling around the wheel instead of oiling the
      hole that leads to its axle.)
      What all the Vandercook manuals say quite specifically is to wipe
      the bearers and rails with an oily rag, daily, the point being to
      remove any foreign matter and leave only a slight residue of oil.

      20-weight oil is pretty standard press oil, but if 30-weight or 3-in-1
      is what you have, it won't hurt to use that either. What hurts is
      dirt, or not oiling at all.
      The other needed lubricant is vaseline, and that's just for the
      worm-and-crescent in the oscillating distributor. Vaseline won't
      liquify and drip into the ink.
      --Eric Holub, SF