Re: Battling Rust on Vandercook 4

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "luk726" <klu@...> wrote:

      > i heard about manually raising the cylinder. all i could figure out
      was to push on that shaft.
      > but i'm still a bit unclear what to actually do. dangit!

      In your flikr photo DSC00742, the closeup of the far side of the
      press-- look at the side frame of the cylinder carriage; in the top
      front corner there is a small gear on the end of a shaft that runs
      agross the press.
      When the whole impression mechanism was there, all it did was turn
      that gear clockwise and counter clockwise; I think the effective range
      of motion is 180 degrees. So get a pair of channel-locks and grab it
      carefully and see what moves. I repeat, carefully. You don't want to
      wear gnaw off any more metal with the slip of a tool.

      So I'm speculating that you could take off the collar on the operator
      end of the shaft, machine a new collar with a way of attaching a
      lever, and go on and off impression by hand, without all the missing
      parts.
      good luck!
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • luk726
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 10, 2006
        thanks a lot for the tip.
        i was prepared to turn that gear this weekend, but wanted to get a better tool so i wouldn't
        strip that gear. in the end, i just removed the whole carriage. hopefully i can find the
        missing part through NA Graphics, or any stranded #4 off to the scrap yard.