Re: Battling Rust on Vandercook 4

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
      KunChe

      Though I saw a few of the pics when you contacted me, the extent of
      the damage as revealed in these flickr pics is horrifying. The only
      time I have ever seen anything like this was in Al Frank's block-long
      "pigeon-roost" warehouse in Chicago. He kept the Vandercooks on the
      top floor and the roof (so to speak) leaked. Maybe a couple of dozen
      Vandercooks in Purgatory.

      I would really suggest that you look for another 4 and strip what you
      can from this one. Any further effort is fruitless. All your surfaces,
      bearings, mechanics, etc., are gone. Sorry to say but at this point
      basically you have a handle worth about $65.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "luk726" <klu@...> wrote:

      > here's a link to what my mess looks like!
      > http://www.flickr.com/photos/uno4300/sets/72157594315685884/

    • parallel_imp
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "luk726" <klu@...> wrote:

        > i heard about manually raising the cylinder. all i could figure out
        was to push on that shaft.
        > but i'm still a bit unclear what to actually do. dangit!

        In your flikr photo DSC00742, the closeup of the far side of the
        press-- look at the side frame of the cylinder carriage; in the top
        front corner there is a small gear on the end of a shaft that runs
        agross the press.
        When the whole impression mechanism was there, all it did was turn
        that gear clockwise and counter clockwise; I think the effective range
        of motion is 180 degrees. So get a pair of channel-locks and grab it
        carefully and see what moves. I repeat, carefully. You don't want to
        wear gnaw off any more metal with the slip of a tool.

        So I'm speculating that you could take off the collar on the operator
        end of the shaft, machine a new collar with a way of attaching a
        lever, and go on and off impression by hand, without all the missing
        parts.
        good luck!
        --Eric Holub, SF
      • luk726
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 10, 2006
          thanks a lot for the tip.
          i was prepared to turn that gear this weekend, but wanted to get a better tool so i wouldn't
          strip that gear. in the end, i just removed the whole carriage. hopefully i can find the
          missing part through NA Graphics, or any stranded #4 off to the scrap yard.