Re: Battling Rust on Vandercook 4

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "luk726" <klu@...> wrote:

      > i recently acquired a Vandercook 4 that's been sitting out in the
      > desert for over a decade.
      [. . .]
      > it's missing the "impression mechanism"

      klu, if you aren't lucky enough to find the missing parts, you can
      manually shift the cylinder up and down.
      From the pictures, you still have the shaft that, when rotated,
      turns the eccentric bearing that raises and lowers the cylinder.
      Perhaps you can rig a lever for that. You'd need to remember to lift
      every time you bring the cylinder back.
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • luk726
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
        duuuude!
        thanks for the tip. i'm going to try that this weekend.
        i heard about manually raising the cylinder. all i could figure out was to push on that shaft.
        but i'm still a bit unclear what to actually do. dangit!

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
          KunChe

          Though I saw a few of the pics when you contacted me, the extent of
          the damage as revealed in these flickr pics is horrifying. The only
          time I have ever seen anything like this was in Al Frank's block-long
          "pigeon-roost" warehouse in Chicago. He kept the Vandercooks on the
          top floor and the roof (so to speak) leaked. Maybe a couple of dozen
          Vandercooks in Purgatory.

          I would really suggest that you look for another 4 and strip what you
          can from this one. Any further effort is fruitless. All your surfaces,
          bearings, mechanics, etc., are gone. Sorry to say but at this point
          basically you have a handle worth about $65.

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "luk726" <klu@...> wrote:

          > here's a link to what my mess looks like!
          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/uno4300/sets/72157594315685884/

        • parallel_imp
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "luk726" <klu@...> wrote:

            > i heard about manually raising the cylinder. all i could figure out
            was to push on that shaft.
            > but i'm still a bit unclear what to actually do. dangit!

            In your flikr photo DSC00742, the closeup of the far side of the
            press-- look at the side frame of the cylinder carriage; in the top
            front corner there is a small gear on the end of a shaft that runs
            agross the press.
            When the whole impression mechanism was there, all it did was turn
            that gear clockwise and counter clockwise; I think the effective range
            of motion is 180 degrees. So get a pair of channel-locks and grab it
            carefully and see what moves. I repeat, carefully. You don't want to
            wear gnaw off any more metal with the slip of a tool.

            So I'm speculating that you could take off the collar on the operator
            end of the shaft, machine a new collar with a way of attaching a
            lever, and go on and off impression by hand, without all the missing
            parts.
            good luck!
            --Eric Holub, SF
          • luk726
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 10, 2006
              thanks a lot for the tip.
              i was prepared to turn that gear this weekend, but wanted to get a better tool so i wouldn't
              strip that gear. in the end, i just removed the whole carriage. hopefully i can find the
              missing part through NA Graphics, or any stranded #4 off to the scrap yard.