Re: Battling Rust on Vandercook 4

  • luk726
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
      here's a link to what my mess looks like!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/uno4300/sets/72157594315685884/
    • E. J. ROZEK
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
        KLU:

        I addressed the issue of Ted Salkin on this list and other lists back in
        June of this year. I'm sorry you were left out. After viewing your photos
        of Mr. Salkin's Vandercook 4, my heart goes out to you!

        Perhaps the best course of action would be to purchase a good press then
        keep what parts you can salvage from this one and scrap the rest of it. You
        are probably looking at several thousand plus shipping for a clean
        Vandercook 4. These test presses have gone up in price dramatically in
        recent yours. I was happy to let an excellent Vandercook Universal 3 with
        full electrics and sheet return (but no taper bed) go for around one grand a
        few years back. I thought I would have to pay someone to take it.

        Please tell me you did not pay Mr. Salkin too much!

        I will send you, off-list, my comments on this man.

        By the way, do I have your name right?

        Best of luck!

        EMIL ROZEK

      • parallel_imp
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "luk726" <klu@...> wrote:

          > i recently acquired a Vandercook 4 that's been sitting out in the
          > desert for over a decade.
          [. . .]
          > it's missing the "impression mechanism"

          klu, if you aren't lucky enough to find the missing parts, you can
          manually shift the cylinder up and down.
          From the pictures, you still have the shaft that, when rotated,
          turns the eccentric bearing that raises and lowers the cylinder.
          Perhaps you can rig a lever for that. You'd need to remember to lift
          every time you bring the cylinder back.
          --Eric Holub, SF
        • luk726
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
            duuuude!
            thanks for the tip. i'm going to try that this weekend.
            i heard about manually raising the cylinder. all i could figure out was to push on that shaft.
            but i'm still a bit unclear what to actually do. dangit!

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
              KunChe

              Though I saw a few of the pics when you contacted me, the extent of
              the damage as revealed in these flickr pics is horrifying. The only
              time I have ever seen anything like this was in Al Frank's block-long
              "pigeon-roost" warehouse in Chicago. He kept the Vandercooks on the
              top floor and the roof (so to speak) leaked. Maybe a couple of dozen
              Vandercooks in Purgatory.

              I would really suggest that you look for another 4 and strip what you
              can from this one. Any further effort is fruitless. All your surfaces,
              bearings, mechanics, etc., are gone. Sorry to say but at this point
              basically you have a handle worth about $65.

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "luk726" <klu@...> wrote:

                > i heard about manually raising the cylinder. all i could figure out
                was to push on that shaft.
                > but i'm still a bit unclear what to actually do. dangit!

                In your flikr photo DSC00742, the closeup of the far side of the
                press-- look at the side frame of the cylinder carriage; in the top
                front corner there is a small gear on the end of a shaft that runs
                agross the press.
                When the whole impression mechanism was there, all it did was turn
                that gear clockwise and counter clockwise; I think the effective range
                of motion is 180 degrees. So get a pair of channel-locks and grab it
                carefully and see what moves. I repeat, carefully. You don't want to
                wear gnaw off any more metal with the slip of a tool.

                So I'm speculating that you could take off the collar on the operator
                end of the shaft, machine a new collar with a way of attaching a
                lever, and go on and off impression by hand, without all the missing
                parts.
                good luck!
                --Eric Holub, SF
              • luk726
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 10, 2006
                  thanks a lot for the tip.
                  i was prepared to turn that gear this weekend, but wanted to get a better tool so i wouldn't
                  strip that gear. in the end, i just removed the whole carriage. hopefully i can find the
                  missing part through NA Graphics, or any stranded #4 off to the scrap yard.