Grolier Club panel discussion: The Future of Fine Press Books 10/10 5:00-7:00pm

  • Paul Romaine
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
      Please excuse cross-posting. I'm posting this notice not because I'm
      the moderator of this discussion, but because this event has some
      interesting people involved. If you're near Manhattan after Oak Knoll
      Fest, you're welcome to join this free event, but please rsvp, as
      indicated below. -Paul

      There will be a panel discussion held at the Grolier Club (47 East
      60th Street, New York, NY, between Park and Madison Avenues) Tuesday,
      October 10th, from 5 to 7:30 p.m. "The Future of Fine Press Books" is
      what organizers hope will be the first in a series of Grolier Club
      symposia on modern fine printing, a way of defining the field of fine
      printing from the perspectives of printers, dealers, and collectors,
      both institutional and private, and hopefully resulting in an
      interesting and provocative discussion. The panel, moderated by Paul
      Romaine, will include John Randle (Whitting Press and publisher of
      "Matrix"), Jerry Kelly (Kelly-Winterton Press), Mark Dimunation (Rare
      Books Division, Library of Congress), and Robert Fleck (Oak Knoll
      Press). Directons and other information on the Grolier Club website
      http://grolierclub.org/Lectures2006.htm

      Free and open to the public, but please RSVP to Maev Brennan
      mbrennan@..., or 212-838-6690, ext. 7.
    • Michael Andrews
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
        Hi Paul

        Very very very sorry to have missed this. Your posting
        arrived the day I had left to exhibit at Oak Knoll and
        I could have gone to this panel discussion --

        but planes wait for no press.

        I do hope there will be some in depth reportage and
        analysis.

        michael

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • esslemont@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
          Likewise - I read the posting having returned from oak Knoll - I hope you record or webcast the event.
          David Esslemont
          Minneapolis
          www.solmentes.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 11, 2006
            Dear David and Michael,

            I'm sorry you couldn't make it. The event was recorded. I don't know
            if Grolier or the participants will allow copies to be given out
            but... there are plans to publish excerpts in _Parentheses_, Journal
            of the Fine Press Book Association. Since the talk ranged widely and
            proved provocative, I think the excerpts may prove extensive. It was a
            good panel with discussion of aesthetics, technology (its importance
            or non-importance), marketing, and educating. A few surprise comments
            came from the librarian (Mark Dimunation) and the bookseller (Bob
            Fleck) on the panel. Jerry Kelly and John Randle clashed a bit on
            technology, but we had great fun. (You'll just have to wait for the
            article...:-) )

            The hope of some Grolier members is to make one or two panel
            discussions a part of post-Oak Knoll activities in Manhattan.

            And in case you are not yet a member of the Fine Press Book
            Association (either the British or North American branch), there's
            information about joining right here:
            http://www.the-old-school.demon.co.uk/fpba/fpbamain.htm

            -Paul
            (who is a member of the FPBA and Grolier)