Re: [PPLetterpress] Ink snaffus?

  • Harold Kyle
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 13, 2002
      On 6/13/02 8:44 AM, "Katie Harper" <knharper@...> wrote:
      > I also did a test by moving the plate across from right to left, inking and
      > printing after each move. This was very revealing.
      Yes it sounds like issues with the roller tracks.
      Roller bearers might help alleviate some of the printing irregularities if
      your tracks are worn unevenly.

      > Harold Kyle, whose boxcar base I am
      > using, says that the base+plate is slightly lower than type high, so I will
      > have to find a happy medium on roller height, since one doesn't want to be
      > moving them up or down on a whim.
      The reason they are lower is so that, no matter where the machining
      tolerances leave the overall thickness, you can easily raise the surface to
      type high.

      Case in point:
      According to the paperwork, our machinists left less than 0.0003" variation
      in thickness across Katie's base. (This minute variation will not produce
      inking irregularities). The lowest point, when properly mounted with a
      0.0394" (1mm) plate and 0.0040" film adhesive will be 0.9171". This means a
      0.001" underlay will bring the base to type high. All one needs is a piece
      of glassine or item number 9513K27 (page 3382) at
      http:/www.mcmaster.com/
      Then adjust your rollers and packing to 0.918" for all forms.

      > The larger display type printed
      > beautifully, while the body type was sloppy. In other words, it looked like
      > the ink was perfect on the larger type and over inking on the smaller. Does
      > larger type need different treatment (ie, makeready or roller height) than
      > smaller type? Or does this indicate an uneveness in the plate's
      > exposure/development?
      Larger solids need more ink. Titling might need a separate print run from
      the text as a result. The sloppiness you describe in the text sounds like
      overinking.

      This could also be roller problems flaring up again. Low rollers are a much
      more visible problem on smaller text sizes.

      Some of the inks you describe may have dryers, which can cause fuzzy type if
      you leave them on the press for an extended time.

      I hope these thoughts help,
      Harold

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      Boxcar Press
      640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
      315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
      www.boxcarpress.com
      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    • Hrant H Papazian
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 21, 2002
        From: Gerald Lange
        > Hrant's dogged pursuit is raging over at the type-design list

        Notably sans Hrant... "'I like to watch', he said."

        From: "author50401"
        > 18 micron = 0.0007086614 inch

        That's so embarassing. And to think that I have a minor
        in Math... A micron is 10^-6 *meters*, not centimeters. :-/

        This is great news. Dwiggins, Justin, and
        now that guy are all in the same ballpark.

        hhp