Battling Rust on Vandercook 4

  • luk726
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
      i recently acquired a Vandercook 4 that's been sitting out in the desert for over a decade.
      it's rusted pretty bad. i've applied several coats of Naval Jelly, as well as a used a grinder with
      a wire-brush on the tougher spots.

      the underside of the press is pretty much rusted through. after removing the drawers, i
      discovered large holes punched through the sheet metal where the rust has made it very
      brittle. in addition, it's missing the "impression mechanism" and the "cores" to the rubber
      roller.

      i realize this is a major restoration job. slowly but surely, the press is getting take apart.
      is there any good suggestions to removing the rust? repairing some of the sheet metal?
      anyone know where i can find parts? or get it remade. i've already contacted Fritz at NA
      Graphics.

      thanks!
      klu
    • E. J. ROZEK
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
        KLU:

        Am I correct in assuming you aquired this press from Ted Salkin in Nevada?

        EMIL ROZEK

        _____

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
          I suggest you buy yourself a gallon or even a five
          gallon container of Evapo-Rust. I have been using it
          on some rusty Vandercook parts and it does a very nice
          job when you just soak them. Sure beats taking an
          abrasive to it and taking off good metal.
          http://www.evaporust.com/
          This press sounds like its in a rather horrible state.
          You may find it easier to salvage what you can from
          it and find another. Not what you wanted to hear, I'm
          sure!

          Daniel Morris
          The Arm Letterpress
          Brooklyn, NY

          --- luk726 <klu@...> wrote:

          > i recently acquired a Vandercook 4 that's been
          > sitting out in the desert for over a decade.
          > it's rusted pretty bad. i've applied several coats
          > of Naval Jelly, as well as a used a grinder with
          > a wire-brush on the tougher spots.
          >
          > the underside of the press is pretty much rusted
          > through. after removing the drawers, i
          > discovered large holes punched through the sheet
          > metal where the rust has made it very
          > brittle. in addition, it's missing the "impression
          > mechanism" and the "cores" to the rubber
          > roller.
          >
          > i realize this is a major restoration job. slowly
          > but surely, the press is getting take apart.
          > is there any good suggestions to removing the rust?
          > repairing some of the sheet metal?
          > anyone know where i can find parts? or get it
          > remade. i've already contacted Fritz at NA
          > Graphics.
          >
          > thanks!
          > klu

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • luk726
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
            yes!
            seems like everyone knows Ted Salkin
            :-)

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "E. J. ROZEK" <ejrozek@...> wrote:

            > KLU:
            >
            > Am I correct in assuming you aquired this press from Ted Salkin in Nevada?
            >
            > EMIL ROZEK

          • luk726
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
              i actually ordered 1 gallon of Evaporust the other day. just happened to stumble upon it,
              on a google search for 'rust removing'. should be expecting delivery shortly.
              i know the press seems like a lot of work, but where else am i gonna find one (and for a
              good price?). i guess i'm willing to put in the sweat and labor, but hate to be all for not if i
              can't find the parts.

              klu

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Morris <featherweightpress@...> wrote:

              > I suggest you buy yourself a gallon or even a five
              > gallon container of Evapo-Rust. I have been using it
              > on some rusty Vandercook parts and it does a very nice
              > job when you just soak them. Sure beats taking an
              > abrasive to it and taking off good metal.
              > http://www.evaporust.com/
              > This press sounds like its in a rather horrible state.
              > You may find it easier to salvage what you can from
              > it and find another. Not what you wanted to hear, I'm
              > sure!
              >
              > Daniel Morris
              > The Arm Letterpress
              > Brooklyn, NY
              >
              > --- luk726 <klu@...> wrote:
              >
              > > i recently acquired a Vandercook 4 that's been
              > > sitting out in the desert for over a decade.
              > > it's rusted pretty bad. i've applied several coats
              > > of Naval Jelly, as well as a used a grinder with
              > > a wire-brush on the tougher spots.
              > >
              > > the underside of the press is pretty much rusted
              > > through. after removing the drawers, i
              > > discovered large holes punched through the sheet
              > > metal where the rust has made it very
              > > brittle. in addition, it's missing the "impression
              > > mechanism" and the "cores" to the rubber
              > > roller.
              > >
              > > i realize this is a major restoration job. slowly
              > > but surely, the press is getting take apart.
              > > is there any good suggestions to removing the rust?
              > > repairing some of the sheet metal?
              > > anyone know where i can find parts? or get it
              > > remade. i've already contacted Fritz at NA
              > > Graphics.
              > >
              > > thanks!
              > > klu

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • luk726
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                here's a link to what my mess looks like!
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/uno4300/sets/72157594315685884/
              • E. J. ROZEK
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                  KLU:

                  I addressed the issue of Ted Salkin on this list and other lists back in
                  June of this year. I'm sorry you were left out. After viewing your photos
                  of Mr. Salkin's Vandercook 4, my heart goes out to you!

                  Perhaps the best course of action would be to purchase a good press then
                  keep what parts you can salvage from this one and scrap the rest of it. You
                  are probably looking at several thousand plus shipping for a clean
                  Vandercook 4. These test presses have gone up in price dramatically in
                  recent yours. I was happy to let an excellent Vandercook Universal 3 with
                  full electrics and sheet return (but no taper bed) go for around one grand a
                  few years back. I thought I would have to pay someone to take it.

                  Please tell me you did not pay Mr. Salkin too much!

                  I will send you, off-list, my comments on this man.

                  By the way, do I have your name right?

                  Best of luck!

                  EMIL ROZEK

                • parallel_imp
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "luk726" <klu@...> wrote:

                    > i recently acquired a Vandercook 4 that's been sitting out in the
                    > desert for over a decade.
                    [. . .]
                    > it's missing the "impression mechanism"

                    klu, if you aren't lucky enough to find the missing parts, you can
                    manually shift the cylinder up and down.
                    From the pictures, you still have the shaft that, when rotated,
                    turns the eccentric bearing that raises and lowers the cylinder.
                    Perhaps you can rig a lever for that. You'd need to remember to lift
                    every time you bring the cylinder back.
                    --Eric Holub, SF
                  • luk726
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                      duuuude!
                      thanks for the tip. i'm going to try that this weekend.
                      i heard about manually raising the cylinder. all i could figure out was to push on that shaft.
                      but i'm still a bit unclear what to actually do. dangit!

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                        KunChe

                        Though I saw a few of the pics when you contacted me, the extent of
                        the damage as revealed in these flickr pics is horrifying. The only
                        time I have ever seen anything like this was in Al Frank's block-long
                        "pigeon-roost" warehouse in Chicago. He kept the Vandercooks on the
                        top floor and the roof (so to speak) leaked. Maybe a couple of dozen
                        Vandercooks in Purgatory.

                        I would really suggest that you look for another 4 and strip what you
                        can from this one. Any further effort is fruitless. All your surfaces,
                        bearings, mechanics, etc., are gone. Sorry to say but at this point
                        basically you have a handle worth about $65.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "luk726" <klu@...> wrote:

                          > i heard about manually raising the cylinder. all i could figure out
                          was to push on that shaft.
                          > but i'm still a bit unclear what to actually do. dangit!

                          In your flikr photo DSC00742, the closeup of the far side of the
                          press-- look at the side frame of the cylinder carriage; in the top
                          front corner there is a small gear on the end of a shaft that runs
                          agross the press.
                          When the whole impression mechanism was there, all it did was turn
                          that gear clockwise and counter clockwise; I think the effective range
                          of motion is 180 degrees. So get a pair of channel-locks and grab it
                          carefully and see what moves. I repeat, carefully. You don't want to
                          wear gnaw off any more metal with the slip of a tool.

                          So I'm speculating that you could take off the collar on the operator
                          end of the shaft, machine a new collar with a way of attaching a
                          lever, and go on and off impression by hand, without all the missing
                          parts.
                          good luck!
                          --Eric Holub, SF
                        • luk726
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 10, 2006
                            thanks a lot for the tip.
                            i was prepared to turn that gear this weekend, but wanted to get a better tool so i wouldn't
                            strip that gear. in the end, i just removed the whole carriage. hopefully i can find the
                            missing part through NA Graphics, or any stranded #4 off to the scrap yard.