[base dimensions.]

  • David Michael McNamara
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
      List,

      I am preparing to purchase a base for photopolymer plate printing from Boxcar Press. It's immediate function will be for a wee 5x8.

      It occurred to me that it makes sense to have the base cut into Mondrian-esque portions. (And for this reason I'm considering the 6x9 as opposed to the 4.5x7.5.)

      So I ask: What dimensions, in theory or from practical experience, would you recommend? Does it make sense to spend a bit extra for the 6x9 to have more variations even though the base (whole) would exceed my chase area? Any further thoughts and/or advice?

      Thanks in advance.
      __

      David
    • John G. Henry
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
        David:

        Do you plan to use gage pins on your 5x8? Do you want to use the
        gripper bars on the press?

        If "no" to both of these, you could actually have someone drill and
        tap the bed and the base from the back and permanently attach the
        base to the bed. Or, you could have someone mill a slot or dado on
        the upper and taper in the lower side of the base to fit the clamp
        which hold the chase, and simply use the base as a replacement to
        the chase.

        If you hope to use the grippers, you will need to insure that the
        grippers will either be outside the base area or are thin enough to
        be able to use with the base in place. (They would have to be
        thinner than the plate material you will use.

        If the above are not possible, you will have to have the base cut to
        allow use of the gripper bars on the outside. There are methods of
        guiding the paper with thin strips so the gage pins could eb
        eliminated, otherwise them must be considered as well.

        Would upsizing the press be an option?

        John Henry

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "David Michael McNamara"

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
          John,

          Thanks for your response. I'm mostly looking for the sizes people find most useful. I suppose it doesn't much matter since I can lock up the portions in any combination that is needed, provided room for the pins and grippers (which is the main part of my consideration).

          Upgrading isn't an option at the moment, unfortunately. And since I use mostly lead, I don't think I want to drill the base into the bed....

          I thank you for your suggestions, though. I think I'll just have to go with some arbitrary sizes and look for solutions as problems present themselves.
          __

          <david@...> wrote:

          > So I ask: What dimensions, in theory or from practical experience,
          would you recommend? Does it make sense to spend a bit extra for the
          6x9 to have more variations even though the base (whole) would
          exceed my chase area? Any further thoughts and/or advice?

        • Scott Rubel
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
            I print mostly invitations and do everything with something like a
            6X6. If something is slightly longer I can turn the plate and print
            at an angle, up to 45 degrees. If I need to I can lock in some blocks
            of aluminum I machined to the same height as the Bunting base and the
            plate does quite well hanging over on that extended base.

            --Scott