Re: Will photopolymer outlast hand-set type?

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Morris
      <featherweightpress@...> wrote:

      > Having just watched my favourite Polaroid film go the
      > way of the dinosaur despite innumerable pleas from the
      > arts community, I can't help but wonder how long
      > industry will have significant enough use for
      > photopolymer plate stock for it to remain in
      > production.

      Look at any sheet photopolymer maufacturer's product list and you will
      see scores of different products in different thicknesses, hardnesses,
      and other characteristics. There are MANY uses of photopolymer plate
      beside our particular kind of relief printing, a miniscule niche.
      Maybe your favorite plate will disappear, just like my favorite lith
      films have disappeared, but there will be SOMETHING we can use as a
      replacement.
      But by all means, buy foundry type! The few remaining type
      foundries have a VERY uncertain future if we don't: scrap, or museum?
      --Eric Holub, SF
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
        Daniel

        There is certainly enough industry suppport for film needs for quite
        some time. Though, as profits deminish the main players will drop out.
        A decade? Maybe less, who knows these days? I was told, by a very
        knowledgable authority, that it would have been over a couple of years
        ago but that certainly has not proved the case.

        Digital to plate is the current alternative. But you are dealing here
        with a completely different configuration of the normal business
        channels. The way it is now with DTP, the plates have to be prepped by
        the third party, processed by the second party... Not all that
        different from film except that your trusted processor is kind of
        stuck which what is sent and it's a lot more expensive at this time.
        Basically, the second party processors (like me) are going to go with
        the dinosaurs and you will be dealing with a different kind of folk
        (most of whom, unfortunately, have no idea what studio-letterpress
        is—though maybe we can con them along for a while).

        I'm still hanging on to some good runs of foundry metal faces. :—)

        <featherweightpress@...> wrote:

        > Having just watched my favourite Polaroid film go the
        > way of the dinosaur despite innumerable pleas from the
        > arts community, I can't help but wonder how long
        > industry will have significant enough use for
        > photopolymer plate stock for it to remain in
        > production.
        > Since I don't really know much about the use of PP
        > outside of studio letterpress, what do you think it's
        > realistic lifespan will be?
        > Should I be squirreling away ATF for the photopolymer
        > apocolypse?
        >
        > Daniel Morris
        > The Arm Letterpress
        > Brooklyn, NY

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Julie Larson
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 5, 2006
          My understanding is that photopolymer plates are used predominantly
          in flexographic printing of labels and packaging, which will
          probably kept them around for a long time. It will be interesting to
          see if CTP develops for PP. I would think it would not be alot
          different from some of the prototype model making processes in use
          now.

          <featherweightpress@...> wrote:

          > Having just watched my favourite Polaroid film go the
          > way of the dinosaur despite innumerable pleas from the
          > arts community, I can't help but wonder how long
          > industry will have significant enough use for
          > photopolymer plate stock for it to remain in
          > production.
          > Since I don't really know much about the use of PP
          > outside of studio letterpress, what do you think it's
          > realistic lifespan will be?
          > Should I be squirreling away ATF for the photopolymer
          > apocolypse?
          >
          > Daniel Morris
          > The Arm Letterpress
          > Brooklyn, NY

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Ed Inman
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2006
            Photopolymer plates are also widely used in the manufacture of rubber stamps. There is little reason to believe they will be discontinued at this time.

            Ed

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2006
              Is it true that photopolymer is also used in the printing of
              braille? We have a friend who us who has seen our plates and said
              they used the same stuff in a braille printshop he worked at for a
              time- they referred to it as PHP. Of course we're all accustomed to
              the plates creating a debossed surface, I'm curious if they slam the
              braille text so hard on one side that it pops on the other.

            • wa0dfw@copper.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 6, 2006
                There are many types of photopolymers. Rubber stamps are made of much
                softer PP than letterpress plates, so I assume there are quite a
                number of different types.

                I have a friend who makes rubber stamps using a liquid photopolymer
                on a machine called a Merigraph. It was poured between two glass
                plates in contact with a negative, then exposed top and bottom,
                washed out and reexpoed. She also had a harder setting liquid that
                made a couple of photopolymer plates for me in the past, though they
                were somewhat less precise than the ready-to-expose materials common
                today.

                Mo