Re: Phono Labels

  • Michael Babcock
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 30, 2006
      And even less of a big deal if one had a linecaster with multiple magazines. Firefly/
      interrobang/Linotypesetting.com now have a 4 magazine "two-in-one" Model 31 working
      that could have set a total of 8 different faces with a few simple turns of handles/knobs.

      Dave Seat tells us he's only seen 4 of them, though they and even more complex machines
      with auxilliary side magazines were common in the heyday.

      That said, any larger composing room had more than one machine on the floor so in a
      production environment several comps would be producing a variety of slugs
      simultaneously.

      mjb

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

      > It isn't a big deal to change magazines on a linecaster. For
      > efficiency they wouldn't set just one label at a time; they'd set
      > 12-pt titles for multiple records, then multiple code numbers in
      > another face, etc. And bear in mind that most linecasting mats are
      > duplexed, so for example those Intertype 8 pt Vogue Bold mats could
      > also have 8 pt Vogue Extra Bold available without changing magazines.
      > --Eric Holub, SF

    • Rene Wu
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 7, 2006
        I have just uploaded in the Record Labels section an unused printing
        block + Atco label scan.
        You can clearly see how the zinc was cut.
        How was this label logo printed? (Yellow, black and white)

        Rene Wu
        Almere, the Netherlands
      • Lance Williams
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 8, 2006
          Rene,

          You are missing one block for the printing of this label. Each color
          would have been printed with a separate block. The block for the yellow
          section is missing. The block you have is for the black (gray) printing,
          complete with mortises for installing lines of type for the specific record
          label being printed.

          - Lance Williams
          Williams Stationery Co.
          Camden, New York
          APA #785

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 10, 2006
            Thanks Lance for the explanation.
            I was doing some label scans and found the following regarding spacing :
            there is more spacing of Vogue Bold if in combo with Vogue Extra Bold than
            when it is combined with Vogue Oblique.
            Why is that? How are those combinations in respect to the Intertype
            matrices? Are those two on one matrice or what?
            I uploaded 2 scans, from an old Intertype Faces Book, in the Record Label
            section.

            Rene Wu,
            Almere, the Netherlands

            _____

            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 10, 2006
              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "R.Wu" <r.wu@...> wrote:

              > there is more spacing of Vogue Bold if in combo with Vogue Extra Bold
              > than when it is combined with Vogue Oblique.
              > Why is that? How are those combinations in respect to the Intertype
              > matrices? Are those two on one matrice or what?

              Yes, that's what I meant before when I said Vogue Bold could be
              "duplexed" with Vogue Extrabold. Most text-size mats have a regular
              and an auxiliary position. Roman with italic, roman with bold are most
              common, but as long as the widths are the same it could be two
              different faces, like DeVinne with Antique No. 3. Either face can be
              cast from the same mat depending on which position it is in, and mats
              can be either alignment in the same line. The catalog is showing what
              combinations were available in any given font of mats.
              In your particular example there are indeed changes to
              letterspacing when faces are duplexed with different secondary faces.
              --Eric Holub, SF
            • Rene Wu
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 19, 2006
                I have uploaded in the Record Labels Album 2 scans of a planographic
                printing plate.
                The fonts as can be recognized is Intertype "Vogue".
                This plate was photographically made but how was the text included
                especially knowing the fact that the fonts, spacing etc are identical
                with the letterpress method.
                Was, for instance, the text first set on the Intertype, printed and
                than add to the record logo to made it camera ready?

                Rene Wu
                Almere, the Netherlands