Re: [PPLetterpress] Strange Noise on Heidleberg Windmill

  • Ian Bristow
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2006
      I seem to remember a similar sound on our Windmill, I think it was an air problem. Check all of your air lines going to your blowers and suction, there is probably a slite leak causing the quacking sound.

      Hope this helps
      Ian

      Bill Denham <bill1028@...> wrote: Frank and Mai,

      Thanks for the feedback. I'm still puzzling over my "quack"--listening and looking as I print or just stand around the press as it cranks away. I thought for a moment I had figured it out--thinking, "Oh, this is no way a 'mechanical' sound, in the sense of metal rubbing or scraping on metal. It's got to be coming from the vacuum system--that's the kind of sound it is." But I haven't been able to pin it down yet. The sound remains irregular in its occurrence but constant in its timing, always coming with the windmill arms in the vertical position, just beginning to rotate.

      No rubber duckie in the innards, as far as I can tell--just a bunch of oil and paper scraps.

      Still curious and looking.

      Bill

      Silver MayKitten <maykitten1@...> wrote: Could it be that a rubber squeeze toy got dropped into the
      works?

      *Remembers a frantic three day search of the innards of a
      vertical that had a similar squeek, only to find that the shop
      dog, unable to bury her squeeky bone, secreted it inside the
      press.*

      MaiK├Ątzchen

      --- bill denham <bill1028@...> wrote:

      > Several days ago I noticed a strange noise that occurrs
      > irregularly during
      > operation, both while printing and not printing.
      >
      > As best as I can describe it, it sounds a bit like a rubber
      > ducky squeeze toy--a
      > kind of quack.
      >
      > Again, as best as I can tell, having listened intently from
      > various locations
      > around the press, it seems to come from the windmill housing
      > and, though
      > irregular in its occurrence, seems to alwas occurr when the
      > windmill arms are
      > in the vertical position and just beginning to rotate--then
      > comes, when ir
      > comes, that strange little "quack"!
      >
      > I am puzzled. It is such an unfamiliar, un-mechanical sound.
      > It doesn't sound
      > catastrophic but I do not like it. That noise is not normal.
      > It is coming from
      > some where and for some reason. I'd like to correct whatever
      > problem is
      > causing it,
      >
      > Any ideas would be appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks.